Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB bidding Do not understand

#1 User is offline   toastlots 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-May-19, 06:51

I fully appreciate many posts have been made regarding GIB bidding, it would just take so long to go through them all.
I just had a GIB tournament and a bid that was so wrong.
I opened 1 spade and my GIB partner responded 1NT. At this point I would assume probably 6-10 points with a balanced hand maybe.
Ops inter-bid with 2D after my partners 1NT to which my GIB partner responded with a double.
I clicked on bid explanation and it read 1- spades with biddable diamonds.
He actually had 3 spades to the king (the suit I opened with) and only 2 diamonds but he had 11 HCP.
Sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever.
I was always taught if I had 3 of my partners opening major suit I should support this straight away.
Therefore even clicking on a bid explanation sometimes cannot be trusted.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2023-May-19, 08:28

with 3 spades and 11 pts the normal bid is 1N forcing
to be followed up with 3

Doubling, GIB has decided 2 is going down more than making in spades

It is a poor choice to make a penalty double without having shown prime support for partner
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   toastlots 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-May-19, 13:31

Thank you for the response and noted.
The bid explanation was still crazy.

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-May-19, 13:53

Can you post the full hand? 1NT is definitely right as GIB plays 2/1. Double does sound odd but it would be nice to see if something else was going on that you might have missed, as something sounds a little off to me.

After 1 (P) 1N (2) P (P), GIB bids 3 every time I try hands that match what you stated.

But it's a little hard to tell as you missed a few passes - if you thought 1NT was 6-10 and you passed and it was in fact your LHO who bid 2, I can see things going haywire and GIB doubling then, as it isn't really programmed to handle someone passing a forcing bid.

(PS - as a complete aside - if you were taught SAYC rather than 2/1, it's still not true that you should support immediately - an immediate 3 in that system would show 4 spades. In that case, with an invitational hand, you're meant to bid another suit at the two level, then 3 the next round. A 1NT response in SAYC does show 6-10, but doesn't say anything about having a balanced hand - just that you're too weak to bid a suit at the two level).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users