BBO Discussion Forums: How do I register into ACBL virtual club games? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do I register into ACBL virtual club games? registration blocked, tourney is private ...

#1 User is offline   nxw0016 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-June-18, 10:22

Can someone tell me how to register to an ACBL virtual club game? When I try it says "blocked, this tournament is private, only selected usernames are allowed to participate."
I am an active ACBL member.
Thanks!

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-June-19, 12:29

You have to get permission from the club owner to play in a VACB club, or have demonstrated history at the club. In other words, "only selected usernames are allowed to participate".

In most cases, you're invited to play with a club member at their club, and the "local" requests permission from the owner to let you in.

The "ACBL" BBO club is open to all players, but the Virtual Clubs are only open to those who play(ed) there, except for specific situations allowed by the ACBL. There are historical (and current) reasons for this, that boil down to "the ACBL wants the Virtual Clubs to support/reflect the FtF club they mirror" and "the ACBL doesn't want VClubs to poach players from other (V)Clubs, nor does it want players to wander the big VClubs full of fish and shark MPs from them."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   nxw0016 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-June-19, 22:14

Thanks for your answer. I was able to play one virtual club game because I was invited by my partner. So does that mean I will able to enter that virtual club's games from now on without invitation?
However, for a player who had never played in any virtual club, what's the way to start getting into one?
Also, the ACBL BBO clubs you mentioned, what are they and where to find them?

I can understand why there should be some restrictions for players to enter a virtual club game. Online bridge can never replace the fun of f2f bridge.

#4 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-June-20, 09:22

I'm not sure, again it would be up to the club owner.

All the clubs I've gained entry to were happy to tell me I could come back without an issue - but all the clubs I've gained entry to I knew either the club owner or more than half the players IRL beforehand (Oh, you want to play in the Ciudad de México online club game? With all the people you've directed for at the tournaments this year? Sure.)

My guess would be yes, provided they haven't reached their (IIRC 15%?) cap. It's more work to take you off the list again :-).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-June-26, 10:15

View Postnxw0016, on 2023-June-19, 22:14, said:

Also, the ACBL BBO clubs you mentioned, what are they and where to find them?

Click on ACBL World from the main screen.

The virtual clubs were created during the pandemic to allow face-to-face clubs to move online, so they only allow members of the real-life clubs to play in them. Even though real-life clubs generally allow random walk-ins, that's not true for vclubs, the TD has to give you permission, and this is just temporary.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users