Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot Rebate Difficulty

#1 User is offline   riverwalk3 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-March-28, 17:10

I have recently started playing 55% Robot Rebates as I know the field is usually very strong there and am trying to challenge myself (I'm not looking to make a profit, which I'm definitely not good enough to, and even players who have won NABC robot individual before such as zhenya_s are only around breakeven). My average probably has been around 52-53% in Robot Rebate (although the sample size is small so this is subject to variance), compared to 60-61% in ACBL Robot Duplicate. While the rebate is certainly harder, I'm not sure it's 8% (I think some of the difference is psychological as I made some weird bids I usually don't in ACBL duplicate). I would be interested in someone else's experience suggesting the difficulty difference.

I've also noticed the Zenith Daylongs being much harder (I've broken 70% once as a fluke but often get below 50%), but a closer inspection could give a big part of the difference: I averaged 63% in contracts I declared compared to 47% overall today (and 53% declared yesterday versus 44% overall yesterday).

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-March-30, 16:48

We don't tailor the hands differently for Robot Rebate and Robot Duplicate. So I think the only explanation is the quality of the competition.

Daylongs use a different algorithm to generate "best hand" than Robot Duplicate and Robot Rebate, and it's recently been brought to our attention that this changes the variance in South's points. This could potentially explain your different experience in Zenith.

#3 User is offline   nxw0016 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-June-18, 10:30

View Postbarmar, on 2023-March-30, 16:48, said:

We don't tailor the hands differently for Robot Rebate and Robot Duplicate. So I think the only explanation is the quality of the competition.

Daylongs use a different algorithm to generate "best hand" than Robot Duplicate and Robot Rebate, and it's recently been brought to our attention that this changes the variance in South's points. This could potentially explain your different experience in Zenith.

Isn't Zenith Daylong using truly random deals? -- I hope it is, otherwise I have been a fool LOL!

#4 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-June-24, 06:23

The rebate is definitely the strongest field for a bbo robot game but you still get a lot of variance - sometimes it feels like you're playing a room full of experts where any sub-optimal line is a bottom. Othertimes you can feel comfy sitting at 60% all game - just depends who is on.

Zenith is not best hand so that is going to be a different, harder game - you'll be defending more often with a robot. I don't think best hand needs a mad exploitative style, but obviously there are quite a few things you need to do differently. So you need to adjust your rebate best hand style for zenith if you're not doing that already.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users