• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An identical board in play Procedural errors, unplayed board, artificial scores

#21 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-March-29, 13:23

Hmm - I didn't think about actually changing the board out. You could do that, I guess - you could even do that and keep the two "board 12" results, knowing you were going to have to assign scores when they meet 13. I just meant "put the cards from hand record 24+X into board 12 and add that to the note about the hand records being off by a board". Don't think it helps much, as you still have to find out how many boards are "one-back", and either fix all of them in the PBN (and make new hand records) or put a note about "hand records are off by a board".

But that's actually something we can do in ACBLscor, which has come in handy in a number of situations:
  • Three table Howell. I've got an open section along with the one-session side game, and I have 3 sets of boards through 36. So, round 5 will be 31-35 at all tables, instead of 21-25 - and now I have no share! But double check before handing them out that they are in fact identical...
  • Oops, we only have 8 tables, not 9, and we've already put the boards out. Okay, take away 25-27 and three boards from where the share is going to be, use 25-28 (if table 9 didn't look at them yet) as the bye-stand boards, and 29-35, one on each table, and EDMOV in the actual boards. Ugly, but it works.

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-March-29, 15:09

View Postmycroft, on 2023-March-29, 13:23, said:

Hmm - I didn't think about actually changing the board out. You could do that, I guess - you could even do that and keep the two "board 12" results, knowing you were going to have to assign scores when they meet 13. I just meant "put the cards from hand record 24+X into board 12 and add that to the note about the hand records being off by a board". Don't think it helps much, as you still have to find out how many boards are "one-back", and either fix all of them in the PBN (and make new hand records) or put a note about "hand records are off by a board".

But that's actually something we can do in ACBLscor, which has come in handy in a number of situations:
  • Three table Howell. I've got an open section along with the one-session side game, and I have 3 sets of boards through 36. So, round 5 will be 31-35 at all tables, instead of 21-25 - and now I have no share! But double check before handing them out that they are in fact identical...
  • Oops, we only have 8 tables, not 9, and we've already put the boards out. Okay, take away 25-27 and three boards from where the share is going to be, use 25-28 (if table 9 didn't look at them yet) as the bye-stand boards, and 29-35, one on each table, and EDMOV in the actual boards. Ugly, but it works.

Yes, that is ugly but cheap and useful.
Will add it to my wish list for our scoring program (although many other things come first, such as being able to allow players to see the scores from other tables and their current position only after completing all boards in a set, instead of always/never).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users