Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gold points Gold points on Bbo

#1 User is offline   barbplatt 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-March-17, 11:24

I was wondering how other ACBL members feel about those of us living outside the US or Canada being allowed to win gold and silver points on BBO.

#2 User is offline   mjwrig84 

• Pip

Posted 2023-March-17, 16:24

It can be very difficult to earn gold points living in the USA. We can only earn them at Regional tournaments or facing stiff competition on BBO. That means extensive travel or a futile attempt on BBO facing the world. From what I understand, it is fairly easy to earn gold playing on BBO outside the USA. Seems a little lopsided to me!

#3 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-March-17, 21:59

Why would anyone outside of North American want ACBL points?

#4 User is offline   barbplatt 

• Pip

Posted 2023-March-18, 01:19

Because they are Americans who are ACBL members but who currently live outside the USA. I’m not sure how large that population is but when I play on instant tournaments for ACBL gold or silver points there is definitely some competition but not to the extent that there is a tournament. It also has the advantage of not having to leave your living room!

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-March-18, 01:44

A while ago the ACBL gave out free membership on BBO.
I don't know how many non-residents of USA or Canada took it up but the impossibility of accessing the full suite of ACBL activities didn't encourage renewal.

Also, many US and Canadian residents don't have the physical wherewithal to abseil down El Capitan with a canoe on their back in their spare time.
So being able to play Bridge from home would be a big plus for this large and growing group of players.

#6 User is offline   Butchie T 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-March-18, 06:47

ACBL MP is an artificial construct designed to lure players (read: payers) into thinking that earning ACBL LM designation means something after all the watering down of rankings. Just play bridge to have fun and keep your brain supple. If you want tangible rewards, collect S&H Green Stamps.

#7 User is offline   undoubling 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-March-18, 10:54

MP's (from whatever nation) are just "ego awards" designed to make players "feel good" about their accomplishments in this game. Their true value is in the EFFORT it takes to achieve them. It doesn't matter if the "effort" is due to longevity, purchase, or ANY OTHER method, it TAKES effort to gain the rank achievement. ANYTHING that "waters down" that effort is detrimental to the GAME of Bridge!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users