BBO Discussion Forums: What do you do at trick 2 and why - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you do at trick 2 and why

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-December-05, 13:27

W gets off to an unfortunate start to the defence as trick 1 goes 6-K-A-ruff

What do you do now and why ?

#2 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-December-05, 16:00

Form of scoring?

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-December-05, 16:11

View PostAL78, on 2022-December-05, 16:01, said:

Form of scoring?

Matchpoints, but I don't think it matters

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-December-05, 20:03

Since we’re Ina contract that many won’t reach (I sympathize with 4S but it wouldn’t be my choice), we should try to make.

I won’t post my suggestion until a few more people have given theirs.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-December-06, 03:23

View Postmikeh, on 2022-December-05, 20:03, said:

Since we’re Ina contract that many won’t reach (I sympathize with 4S but it wouldn’t be my choice), we should try to make.

This was my exact thought and why I said I thought form of scoring didn't matter

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-December-06, 06:49

Since there have been no further answers: I’d play east for Kx In spades and the diamond Ace being doubleton in either hand. I can force an entry to dummy in hearts, to take the spade hook.

If east wins the heart ace and switches to a low diamond, I’d have to consider flying with the King, but I’ll cross that bridge if and when I get there….I’d definitely want to know their notrump range…three aces and the spade Kx, plus maybe one or two Jacks, would be a strong 1N.

If west has the heart Ace and ducks (which would be a bad play given trick one), I will make with Kx in trump onside and any 3-2 diamond break or stiff ace.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-December-06, 07:01

View Postmikeh, on 2022-December-06, 06:49, said:

Since there have been no further answers: I’d play east for Kx In spades and the diamond Ace being doubleton in either hand. I can force an entry to dummy in hearts, to take the spade hook.

If east wins the heart ace and switches to a low diamond, I’d have to consider flying with the King, but I’ll cross that bridge if and when I get there….I’d definitely want to know their notrump range…three aces and the spade Kx, plus maybe one or two Jacks, would be a strong 1N.

If west has the heart Ace and ducks (which would be a bad play given trick one), I will make with Kx in trump onside and any 3-2 diamond break or stiff ace.

OK, I don't think you get the best odds here, W in fact has the heart ace and this is now a morton's fork situation. If he takes the ace, he has to return another heart to give you any issues, now you discard 2 diamonds and play a diamond towards the K, you can afford a trump loser, the danger is promoting the trump 10 with the 4th heart.

If he ducks as he did at the table, you pitch your second heart on the club, lead a diamond towards hand and with diamonds 3-2 with the ace onside you just lose 2 diamonds and a spade.

In fact (EW playing a strong NT) E has a 3325 weak NT so there is never a problem as long as you play for ace onside rather than doubleton K onside.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2022-December-06, 07:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-December-06, 07:01, said:

OK, I don't think you get the best odds here, W in fact has the heart ace and this is now a morton's fork situation. If he takes the ace, he has to return another heart to give you any issues, now you discard 2 diamonds and play a diamond towards the K, you can afford a trump loser, the danger is promoting the trump 10 with the 4th heart.

If he ducks as he did at the table, you pitch your second heart on the club, lead a diamond towards hand and with diamonds 3-2 with the ace onside you just lose 2 diamonds and a spade.

That’s true. Obviously if west has the ace and ducks, I pitch. Since I was assuming that east held the ace of hearts, I didn’t spend any time on the choice of pointed suit to play. With west holding the heart ace, the diamond ace is virtually marked onside and playing diamonds, rather than spades, is clearly best. My excuse is that it’s 5 am😀

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users