BBO Discussion Forums: Teams - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Teams Scoring a Teams event

#1 User is offline   prescot_td 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 2022-October-13

Posted 2022-November-20, 07:28

I want to run a (Christmas) Teams event.

I have played in Teams events (10+ years back). We use ScoreBridge and I can see that I can run it, have them score the Travellers normally and I can take the Travellers, input them into ScoreBridge and produce a result.

When I played in Teams events in the past I recall that we (Teams) used to calculate the scores manually at the table at the end of play and we produced IMPs and VP's from those scores and this was all a part of the event but I've forgotten how it's done.

How do you (manually) score a Teams event?
0

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,519
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2022-November-20, 11:06

It's basically very simple, see below and then google for conversion tables from MP to IMPs and IMPs to VP.
You can do it in excel, or with pen and paper if you prefer.

Welsh Bridge Union said:


International Match Point Scoring (IMPs)

This is the basic form of scoring for a teams’ event.
In a teams’ match (head-to-head or multiple teams), each team has one pair playing North/South and
the other pair playing East/West, so on each board there are two scores for the two teams. The nett
score for one of the teams is then calculated (e.g. North/South of team ‘A’ score +620, and East/West
of team ‘A’ score -170.) the nett score for that team is +450. Their opponents, Team ‘B’ would have a
nett score of -450. The scores could be presented as such, but in order to lessen the effect of a really
good or bad result, this absolute score is translated into a number between 0 and 24 on a pre-defined
scale (IMP scale). For example, a score difference of 20-40 is 1 IMP, a score difference of 50-80 is 2
IMPS, and so forth. In the example above, +450 translates to 10 IMPs (and -450 would be -10 IMPs).
Having calculated the Imps on each board these are then added together to provide the total imp score
for all the boards in the event.
In many team matches, where each team plays the same number of team opponents, the total imp
score against each team is then translated into a Victory Point score. This partly addresses the
situation where a good team plays a bad team on a set of boards that have the potential for extreme
scores (a swinging set of boards). The IMP margin of victory is calculated for a given match. This
margin of victory is used to distribute victory points between the two teams (typically 20 or 25 total
victory points dependent upon the number of boards in each match). The closer the match, the more
evenly the points are distributed. For example, in a tied match, on a 20VP scale, each team would get
10 victory points. If a team won by 10 IMPS, the winning team would get 14 victory points and the
losing team 6 victory points. If a team won by 28 IMPS, the winning team would get 20 victory points
and their opponents 0 victory points, an so on. The total number of victory points for each team is then
used to determine a team's rank in the event.

0

#3 User is offline   prescot_td 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 2022-October-13

Posted 2022-November-20, 13:14

View Postpescetom, on 2022-November-20, 11:06, said:

It's basically very simple, see below and then google for conversion tables from MP to IMPs and IMPs to VP.
You can do it in excel, or with pen and paper if you prefer.


Thanks for the reply . . . . not sure I would describe it as 'very simple' based on that description but maybe after a few readings and bashing a few brains cells I might 'get it'.

I am looking at a likely 8 or 9 tables (8 or 9 Teams). Is it the norm in Teams event like this for the Teams to sit and calculate their own scores (IMP's VP's) at the end of play or is it perceived as too difficult for the members to do that?
0

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,519
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2022-November-20, 14:38

View Postprescot_td, on 2022-November-20, 13:14, said:

Thanks for the reply . . . . not sure I would describe it as 'very simple' based on that description but maybe after a few readings and bashing a few brains cells I might 'get it'.

I am looking at a likely 8 or 9 tables (8 or 9 Teams). Is it the norm in Teams event like this for the Teams to sit and calculate their own scores (IMP's VP's) at the end of play or is it perceived as too difficult for the members to do that?


It's normal for them to sit and calculate their own scores (they insist even if you do it in parallel electronically, at least around here).

If you have 8 or 9 teams you need to plan the Swiss (or other if you prefer) movement:

Swiss Teams

You have to assign positions quickly and accurately at the end of every round, so computer assistance is better at this point, although you could do it by hand with steady nerves.
I don't know Scorebridge and I'm not sure where you are or what your status is, but most RAs have one or more scoring programs that can handle all of this easily.
0

#5 User is offline   prescot_td 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 2022-October-13

Posted 2022-November-20, 15:44

View Postpescetom, on 2022-November-20, 14:38, said:

It's normal for them to sit and calculate their own scores (they insist even if you do it in parallel electronically, at least around here).

If you have 8 or 9 teams you need to plan the Swiss (or other if you prefer) movement:

Swiss Teams

You have to assign positions quickly and accurately at the end of every round, so computer assistance is better at this point, although you could do it by hand with steady nerves.
I don't know Scorebridge and I'm not sure where you are or what your status is, but most RAs have one or more scoring programs that can handle all of this easily.


Thanks again for the helpful reply.
I am in the UK. The ScoreBridge software we use )to score results and upload to Bridgewebs) gives a choice of movements and I have run a trial event with the Thurner movement for 8 tables (for which I can print up movement cards). I am keen to give this a go (like a challenge) and have got a couple of weeks to learn
0

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,519
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2022-November-20, 15:51

View Postprescot_td, on 2022-November-20, 15:44, said:

Thanks again for the helpful reply.
I am in the UK. The ScoreBridge software we use (to score results and upload to Bridgewebs) gives a choice of movements and I have run a trial event with the Thurner movement for 8 tables (for which I can print up movement cards). I am keen to give this a go (like a challenge) and have got a couple of weeks to learn


Great.
I'm sure there is some UK TD (weejonnie?) who can give you further guidance on how to do all this with ScoreBridge, then.
Good luck and have fun.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users