• You cannot reply to this topic

Not another mundane auction

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2022-November-18, 11:03

No agreements regarding interference over the 2. That's an often undiscussed, poorly understood aspect of my game.
I guess playing D0PV my bid is still pass. Anyway, here there are no agreements.

I'm happy to hear otherwise but I think 3 is fine. What do you do over 3nt, partner may have no entries to my hand?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-18, 11:39

We got to game, that's all I ever wanted. Time to pass, I think. That queen of spades looks like a side entry to me.

If you have agreements you can tease out whether 5 is a favourite compared to 3NT. Without agreements it is a blind guess, and Hamman's law applies.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-18, 11:42

I'm not clear what 2N should be from you over the double

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-18, 12:07

I'm not sure I understand your partner's bidding unless he thinks you DO have agreements regarding interference over the 2 (pass showing a waiting hand with some values, but not a biddable suit).
In any case, take a non-obvious breath of relief and leave it there.

#5 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-November-18, 19:47

With no agreements over interference over 2 partner was expecting (hopefully - lol) for you to bid 3 in response to his TOX. He now bids 3NT. What has he got? Balanced and strong, and you are turning up with much more than a Yarborough. Partner should be pleased:)

What concerns me more other than we should be in 3NT or 5 is whether we should be 3NT or 6? Give partner AKxx AKxx AQ Axx and he is playing the hand with about a 80% chance of slam.

That asks the question: exactly what hand would partner have for a TOX in this auction? Is TOXing after interference the best way to describe this hand? I am not sure myself.

If he were 5M332 or 5M422 surely he would have bid the 5M suit at the two level? Or is that wrong? And I am still puzzling what distribution partner has here. And what point count? More than 24 (as in the hand above) - quite possible.

I might settle for 3NT but I think I have enough for 6. That is what I am going to bid come hell or high water. It might be wrong, but partner is playing the hand, his big hand is protected, and the opps. have to lead into it. East's 2 bid could well be a psyche here: why did he not open 2 weak?

I am trusting partner to bid correctly so 6 it is.

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2022-November-18, 19:51

Let's just say partner didn't have the hand I expected but I did pass and it worked out ok.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-November-18, 20:02

View Postjillybean, on 2022-November-18, 19:51, said:

Let's just say partner didn't have the hand I expected but I did pass and it worked out ok.

LOL. So 6 goes down? Trust me to pick the losing option :(

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-21, 11:27

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-November-18, 19:47, said:

With no agreements over interference over 2 partner was expecting (hopefully - lol) for you to bid 3 in response to his TOX. He now bids 3NT. What has he got? Balanced and strong, and you are turning up with much more than a Yarborough. Partner should be pleased:)

What concerns me more other than we should be in 3NT or 5 is whether we should be 3NT or 6? Give partner AKxx AKxx AQ Axx and he is playing the hand with about a 80% chance of slam.

That asks the question: exactly what hand would partner have for a TOX in this auction? Is TOXing after interference the best way to describe this hand? I am not sure myself.

If he were 5M332 or 5M422 surely he would have bid the 5M suit at the two level? Or is that wrong? And I am still puzzling what distribution partner has here. And what point count? More than 24 (as in the hand above) - quite possible.

This was my point when I said that I could only understand partner's bidding if he DID think that pass indicated some values, probably a suit without the honour quality necessary to bid directly.
I guess he could be 4432, with a stop in diamonds and xx in clubs, ready to play 3NT if he hears clubs or 4M if he hears a major.
In which case my trust would lead me to pass 3NT, which coincides with my mistrust bid too B-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users