BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding the same values again & again - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Bidding the same values again & again

#21 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-November-14, 10:02

Against optimal defence East can be held to 3 tricks in 2X, for a clean +1100 to NS. I'm not sure if I would have led the queen of spades at the table though, but even +800 is fine. Doubling them at the 3-level would have scored even better, but my bidding does not push them that far.

West does not have a double over 1, nor one over 1NT. (If you must bid, try 1 - but this is only for partners who can take a joke.) South does not have a bid over 2, and is certainly in no position to bid on over 3.

My guess is that many people felt they left something unsaid after the first round of the bidding - West their HCP, South their fifth diamond and spade values, and East the good 5-card club suit. As a result all three went crazy and kept bidding. The general defence against this behaviour is called 'quick in, quick out' - describe your hand as early as possible, then sit back and wait for partner to make the competitive call.

Incidentally, 3X seems to make. I suppose congratulations are in order.

#22 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2022-November-14, 10:09

Unfortunately, it didn't make -1 for a 0 (MP)

Quick in , quick out - that's another thing I like about 12-14nt , I have had my bid.

#23 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-14, 11:44

View Postjillybean, on 2022-November-14, 10:09, said:

Unfortunately, it didn't make -1 for a 0 (MP)

Quick in , quick out - that's another thing I like about 12-14nt , I have had my bid.

It seems very difficult to go off, you really should make it, how would 3-4 have scored ?

#24 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-14, 12:15

Wow.

I think I am happy with North's auction, and probably East's (depending on the meaning of West's double of 1NT).

I would have taken West's double of 1NT as "takeout of spades, I couldn't T/O X diamonds" - the same hand, but with the black suits switched. I know doubles of 1NT are traditionally penalty, and if West thought he was doubling for penalty, fine. He's not good enough, but fine. East should be happy to pass, and 1NTx is going to be a good score. We'll start with what's West's opening lead?

But East either thought "too weak, run from penX" or "takeout of spades" (but if that's the case, why do I have a doubleton and they're not in spades?)

I like sessions where I push the opponents around and they make mistakes. But I really like the sessions where the opponents make mistakes (whether because I pushed them around or they did it themselves) and I don't let them off the hook.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2022-November-14, 12:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-November-14, 11:44, said:

It seems very difficult to go off, you really should make it, how would 3-4 have scored ?

Yes , it should make. 3 - 4 would have been a great result.
I'm not really focused on the play, I'm trying to improve the contracts we find ourselves in.

#26 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-November-16, 12:12

I may have been tempted to bid 2 with the South cards after East bids 2 but there is no way I am bidding anything else after that.

#27 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-November-16, 12:14

View Postmycroft, on 2022-November-14, 12:15, said:

I like sessions where I push the opponents around and they make mistakes. But I really like the sessions where the opponents make mistakes (whether because I pushed them around or they did it themselves) and I don't let them off the hook.

Don't we all, although in my case the opponents have a habit of being super-aggressive/reckless at times and getting rewarded for it (with the exception of one hand yesterday evening).

#28 User is offline   Frank_lol_ 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-December-19, 08:48

Honestly, I would X.
West shows 4+ an 4+, so my double would be:
Hey, I have a good 3 card support and 5 diamonds, you can bid 2 with 5+ (or good 4 if you think this is the best bid), 2D with 2+ ( 5-2 at 2 level is not the end of the world) or pass for penalty.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users