• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-October-14, 16:16

Matchpoints

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-14, 16:31

3cl. I don't think it's particularly close.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-October-14, 17:28

We are not overcalling 2N, since either or both LHO and CHO have hearts. If the former, partner may raise notrump and LHO runs the heart suit, possibly after a double after which I won’t be confident I’ll know what to do. If the latter, or both, then partner may not let me out of hearts and my hand will be a disappoint

We’re not doubling!

Passing, and hoping for a balance is wrong at these colours. If we passed a reopening double, we might collect nly 300 or, on a good day, 500…inadequate against our likely game.

So 3C it has to be and, echoing Helene, I don’t think it’s close

It’s one of those actions that we have to occasionally take…we don’t ‘like’ it but it’s clearly the best of all alternatives or the least bad.

Besides, how else are we bidding slam when partner has x Axxx Qxx Axxxx?

(I’d drive to slam over a 4S splinter)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-October-15, 04:01

View Postmikeh, on 2022-October-14, 17:28, said:

We are not overcalling 2N, since either or both LHO and CHO have hearts. If the former, partner may raise notrump and LHO runs the heart suit, possibly after a double after which I won’t be confident I’ll know what to do. If the latter, or both, then partner may not let me out of hearts and my hand will be a disappoint

We’re not doubling!

Passing, and hoping for a balance is wrong at these colours. If we passed a reopening double, we might collect nly 300 or, on a good day, 500…inadequate against our likely game.

So 3C it has to be and, echoing Helene, I don’t think it’s close

It’s one of those actions that we have to occasionally take…we don’t ‘like’ it but it’s clearly the best of all alternatives or the least bad.

Besides, how else are we bidding slam when partner has x Axxx Qxx Axxxx?

(I’d drive to slam over a 4S splinter)

What happens next is that LHO bids 4 and your partner is in the hot seat, what do you do if this is passed back to you for example ? Is X from partner penalties ?

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-15, 06:39

X from partner is responsive. If it's passed back to me I pass. 4nt could work but it's too risky. I already felt a bit uncomfortable committing to the 3-level, never mind the 5-level.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-October-15, 06:54

View Posthelene_t, on 2022-October-15, 06:39, said:

X from partner is responsive. If it's passed back to me I pass. 4nt could work but it's too risky. I already felt a bit uncomfortable committing to the 3-level, never mind the 5-level.

void, xxxxxx, Q10xxx, 10x is a very good game without getting rich in 4 particularly undoubled. This is why the hand is interesting, the spade void in partner's hand is pretty marked.

What would you expect partner to have for X, responsive double can mean many things. Also if partner bids 4N which I presume is 2 places to play is 6 from you a big hand with a lot of clubs or clubs and a red ?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users