BBO Discussion Forums: A Public Club catering for Australian Players - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Public Club catering for Australian Players Setting up a safe, friendly spot for Australians and Oz Time Zones

#1 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-October-04, 18:38

Australian players are badly disadvantaged by their time zones being at odds with places like North American and Europe. That means lessons and discussion sessions are held in the wee hours of the mornings for us.
On top of that, I hear from an increasing number of players that they are sick of the rudeness they are encountering (often from self-labelled experts or Advanced); and female players are too often the target of unwanted advances from strangers.
I have asked BBO repeatedly to have one of the now-unused Public Clubs to be renamed something like The Billabong Bridge Corner but keep getting told they can't make me a director or run tourneys. None of which I had asked for.
There is currently a Public Club called Bridge a la Carte where the founding member no longer exists on BBO and I'd very much like to see that become The Billabong Bridge Corner. And to make that a place where your stock standard garden-gnome type player can come and enjoy their bridge, and enjoy the interaction with other players in safety.
I could use any support I can get. :)

#2 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-October-04, 20:31

Will follow with interest as a possible occasional drop in. Sorry I can't commit to more than that Pat.
As long as its a genuine fun playing club with no requirement to be taught anything

While putting up my wishlist - no requirement to play any specific system

How about a club with occasional randomly selected systems Tonight we are playing Precision etc

#3 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-October-05, 15:16

I think it is a great idea try
https://bridgelounge...ng-started.html
the site is in austrilia I think they might help

BTW i have problem listening to him he have an interesting Accent
Michel

#4 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip

Posted 2022-October-05, 17:51

Well that's a site I'd never heard about! Thanks for the link.

#5 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip

Posted 2022-October-05, 17:56

the WP Refugees Club is a prime example of what I'd like to see happen. It is known for being a friendly gathering of players from all over. No rudeness and no strangers sending unsolicited messages to the women.

#6 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip

Posted 2022-October-09, 01:08

Well a week later and still no response from BBO. Looks like this is going to be buried under "too hard or too much effort required".

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-October-09, 15:28

patcanuck, on 2022-October-09, 01:08, said:

Well a week later and still no response from BBO. Looks like this is going to be buried under "too hard or too much effort required".

You posted this in the section of the forum labeled "not BBO-related". Why did you expect a response from BBO?

#8 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip

Posted 2022-October-18, 03:40

Hmm, good point but it was BBO who suggested I raise my topic in the BBO forums. I actually wasn't expecting a BBO response from this topic posting: my comment about lack of BBO response was their complete lack of follow up from emails I had sent and which got constantly misinterpreted as me asking for director status to run tournaments. Though how that could have been gleaned from my asking if we could take over one of the now-moribund public clubs with a name change I have no idea. :)
I just noticed you are an Admin: nice to meet you. Would it be more appropriate then to move this to whatever section of the discussion forum you think is more closely related?

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-October-23, 15:33

patcanuck, on 2022-October-18, 03:40, said:

Hmm, good point but it was BBO who suggested I raise my topic in the BBO forums.

I didn't say not to raise it in the BBO forums. But you should have posted in "General BBO Discussion", not "General Bridge Discussion (not BBO-specific)".

But basically, we're not creating any new clubs in BBO.

#10 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip

Posted 2022-October-25, 00:26

And that is all they had to say to me when I raised the idea several times. Too simple. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users