#1 User is offline   123600 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-July-22, 19:15

North South holdings immaterial
bIDDING
E 1S S P W 2D N p E 2H S p W 3C N p E 3H S p W 4nt N p E 5D s p
W 6P
a friendly accusation by both p and opposition is that me W mislead both partner and opposition in my bidding. After a S open i'm immediately thinking slam and must keep making forcing bids( which are weakness for both of us)
E/W use roman key card so my p is always thinking H. i am confident that even if she ( my wife) shows 2 key cards and Q of H i can still go 6 S. when she shows 3 A i go 6 and she makes seven with a finesse. so am i being disingenious in my bidding OR how do you bid to get to at least 6 S. ( a jump to 4 is considered weak

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-July-22, 21:36

View Post123600, on 2022-July-22, 19:15, said:

bIDDING
W 6P
a friendly accusation by both p and opposition is that me W mislead both partner and opposition in my bidding. After a S open i'm immediately thinking slam and must keep making forcing bids( which are weakness for both of us)
E/W use roman key card so my p is always thinking H. i am confident that even if she ( my wife) shows 2 key cards and Q of H i can still go 6 S. when she shows 3 A i go 6 and she makes seven with a finesse. so am i being disingenious in my bidding OR how do you bid to get to at least 6 S. ( a jump to 4 is considered weak

I assume that you don’t know that, say, 1S 2D 2H 3S is forcing in virtually every natural system with which I’m familiar. I and many others play that the 2D response was already a force to game, but that’s irrelevant to the discussion since clearly you do not play two over one game force.

Given that you don’t have any easy way to force, other than changing suits, it’s really just a guessing game

I strongly recommend getting hold of an intermediate level book on bidding. Which depends on where you live/play. For example, if you played mostly wit non-experts in the UK,you might want to get a book on Acol. If in NA, I’d suggest learning 2/1 GF, which is the most widely played approach here.,in France, SEF, in Poland Polish club, etc.

As it is, your lack of knowledge of what are, to most here, basic concepts makes it difficult to answer your post more constructively.

I do agree that it’s appropriate have some slam interest as west, but your approach basically amounted to you taking charge…beyond your 2D bid you basically made it up as you went along, preventing your partner from having any idea what was going on.you got away with it this time bu5 it’s not a good approach to bridge, which is a partnership game.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-July-23, 00:39

View Postmikeh, on 2022-July-22, 21:36, said:

I assume that you don’t know that, say, 1S 2D 2H 3S is forcing in virtually every natural system with which I’m familiar.

Is it? I think it is invitational in Acol. What do you do with a 10-11 count and three card spade support?

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-July-23, 01:06

View PostAL78, on 2022-July-23, 00:39, said:

Is it? I think it is invitational in Acol. What do you do with a 10-11 count and three card spade support?

I was careful to say ‘with which I’m familiar’. That rules out Acol…..I know only the very basic outlines, and may well misunderstand important aspects of those.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-23, 02:09

View PostAL78, on 2022-July-23, 00:39, said:

I don't know Acol either, but if 3 shows that hand, what does 2 show?

In Standard American, with an invitational hand and 3 spades, you bid 2, so there 3 is forcing. But maybe this is different in Acol due to 4 card majors.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-23, 02:49

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-July-23, 02:09, said:

A hand with probably two spades, good enough to play game opposite a strong NT. So 8-10.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-23, 05:08

In Standard American, with an invitational hand and 3 spades, you bid 2, so there 3 is forcing. But maybe this is different in Acol due to 4 card majors.

2 will show a minimal 2/1 with two spades, and denying a stop in the fourth suit otherwise you can bid 2NT.

#8 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-23, 05:13

I'm not familiar with the details of Standard American, so what do you do with a 10-11 count with two spades and no stop in the fourth suit, something like Qx Kxx AQxxx xxx?

#9 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-July-23, 10:56

...i am confident that even if she ( my wife)...

This sort of accusation always happens when playing with a wife or husband :)

#10 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-23, 21:09

bIDDING
W 6P

I can't see what anyone can complain about.

In popular methods, where you agree spades as early as possible, you will *not* learn about the heart queen or the diamond king (if partner had it). And partner, if she takes control, will *not* learn about the heart king or the diamond queen.

It seems completely appropriate to pretend to agree hearts. (So long as 6 is not understood as a grand slam try.)

#11 User is offline   peterb001 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-24, 16:38

bIDDING
W 6P

I also don't think that the bidding is unfair, thought there are probably better ways to approach it.

I (and many but not all players) treat the 4th suit forcing bid (3C) as game forcing. So after partner's 3H response, you can just bid 3S to set the suit.

Alternatively an initial splinter bid response of 4C (agreeing spades with a shortage in clubs) in response to the 1S is likely to get you to a slam.

And lastly, many players use a Jacoby 2NT response to 1 major as a game going hand with 4+ card support (if you are playing 4 card majors), which both puts you in a game forcing situation, and agrees spades as trumps. Not everyone might agree with this approach on this hand (as it's slightly light in high cards), so on this hand I would lean towards the splinter bid.

#12 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-06, 16:36

I think your bidding is fine up to 3. Since this establishes a game force though, there is no reason not to bid 3 over 3 to get the auction back on track. Your partner now has a huge hand in context and can make some moves towards the slam. What exactly did the opponents think was cheating? You can bid what you like providing you mislead your partner just as much as you mislead them. I am not seeing any special agreements that you refused to disclose. Either there is more to the story or they are clueless.

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-11, 21:30

He said "unfair"; I don't think he said "cheating". Also he was playing with his wife, and I get the impression (possibly wrongly) that it was she who deemed his bidding "unfair", probably because she didn't know what he was trying to show.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-August-12, 01:59

I agree with glithin's comment about 3 followed by 3 being a game force. Alternatively, if you want to keep it really simple, you might think about 1 - 2 - 2 - 4. That gets the hand off your chest and East with a 4 loser hand will go slamming.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2022-August-12, 22:40

View Postpeterb001, on 2022-July-24, 16:38, said:

And lastly, many players use a Jacoby 2NT response to 1 major as a game going hand with 4+ card support (if you are playing 4 card majors)

Or 5-card majors.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users