Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just Defend It be nice to see a Just Defend Solitaire game

#1 User is offline   pgcto 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-July-30, 14:59

Similar to the Just Declare Solitaire game I would like to see a Just Defend Solitaire game to give me an option to practice my defense. The hands would be scored so if you found the optimum defense you would get the maximum score.

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-July-31, 03:45

Agree. Thousands of bridge books on bidding and declarer play, but few on defense. I have less than 10 in my library.

#3 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-July-31, 06:57

Problem with Just Defend is that you still have the same erratic Bots opposite you. To obtain optimum defense, your center opponent would have to be specifically programmed for each hand, otherwise there would be no guarantee that it would cooperate with your brilliancy.

Further, while Just Declare is playable, it is subject to gifts from the opponents and therefore not a perfect barometer of your efforts. The Bots don't declare any better, so with Just Defend expect less than optimal declarer play further sabotaging your efforts.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-July-31, 09:15

View PostJoe_Old, on 2022-July-31, 06:57, said:

Problem with Just Defend is that you still have the same erratic Bots opposite you. To obtain optimum defense, your center opponent would have to be specifically programmed for each hand, otherwise there would be no guarantee that it would cooperate with your brilliancy.

Further, while Just Declare is playable, it is subject to gifts from the opponents and therefore not a perfect barometer of your efforts. The Bots don't declare any better, so with Just Defend expect less than optimal declarer play further sabotaging your efforts.

Something like this is what I was about to say. Perhaps an event could be structured where you defend lots of hand with your regular partner(s).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-July-31, 09:40

View PostVampyr, on 2022-July-31, 09:15, said:

Something like this is what I was about to say. Perhaps an event could be structured where you defend lots of hand with your regular partner(s).

You already defend about half the hands in any tournament, so defence gets twice as much practice as declarer play it is. And part of defence depends upon inferences from partner's calls during the auction. So I'm not sure how useful such a tournament would really be. Maybe just spend more time discussing defence after the tournament?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users