Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fix phone app automatic logout

#1 User is offline   mike_s_ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-July-23, 14:13

When logged in to BBO using the phone app (iOS in my case), temporarily switching to another app (to quickly respond to an important text msg, for example) causes the BBO app to log me off. That is very annoying. Switching apps should not cause BBO to log off. Please fix.

If your concern is responsiveness, then could you at least limit auto-logoff to when I am actively playing at a table (not when I’m dummy, kibitzing, or not even at a table)?

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-July-23, 15:17

This is a limitation on iOS's side. If it's moved into the background, they suspend the app shortly afterwards and do not allow it to run any code at all. (Things like music are handled via other means). So from BBO's perspective, there is literally no way to distinguish someone that switched apps from someone who disconnected.

BBO could potentially change how long it takes for someone who disconnected to get logged out, but I suspect it's small for a reason.

#3 User is offline   mike_s_ 

• Pip

Posted 2022-July-23, 22:00

I’ve never written iOS code, so I had no idea that it might not support running background processes. That’s a very strange limitation for an OS. Apps like messaging and email (which receive when they are not in the foreground) must also be handled as special cases then.

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-24, 01:55

The same thing happens on Android, so it's not specific to iOS.

#5 User is offline   mike_s_ 

• Pip

Posted 2022-July-24, 06:56

Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh

Looks like some apps, including my email program (I guess messaging is using some other background processing mechanism) can be configured to periodically refresh. It seems that the BBO app isn’t registered to offer that option — it’s not on the list.

#6 User is offline   mike_s_ 

• Pip

Posted 2022-July-24, 07:08

https://developer.ap...ackground_tasks

Looks like you could kick off a recurring background task with a timeout just a little shorter than your disconnect timeout to check playing status and determine whether auto log off should be initiated.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-July-27, 17:29

pescetom, on 2022-July-24, 01:55, said:

The same thing happens on Android, so it's not specific to iOS.

Not on my Android tablet (Kindle Fire HD 8). Unless the other application needs too much memory, then the OS kills the background Chrome to get more memory. But I regularly switch to my radio app to change stations and then go back to the browser, and it's usually still connected.

#8 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-28, 05:12

barmar, on 2022-July-27, 17:29, said:

Not on my Android tablet (Kindle Fire HD 8). Unless the other application needs too much memory, then the OS kills the background Chrome to get more memory. But I regularly switch to my radio app to change stations and then go back to the browser, and it's usually still connected.

I was talking about the app (like the OP), not browser. I haven't noticed it with a browser but then I rarely play that way on Android.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-July-28, 08:13

pescetom, on 2022-July-28, 05:12, said:

I was talking about the app (like the OP), not browser. I haven't noticed it with a browser but then I rarely play that way on Android.

I realize that, but I think it's mostly the same code under the covers.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users