BBO Discussion Forums: Gib blocks suit while wide open in 3NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib blocks suit while wide open in 3NT

#1 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2022-June-27, 11:01

My link
Wide open in hearts and it cant take all the tricks
This was a just declare so bidding is Gibs
I think its AJx has to overtake trick 1 and lead back the J
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-27, 17:20

Good defense by GIB. If you were in a slam, you would have gone down.

#3 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-27, 19:28

GIB doesn't make any assumptions that the lead is from a strong suit or that West must have the ten of hearts.

Under that assumption, why GIB plays as it does is pretty straightforward.

On the first round, it plays the J because that is guaranteed to be at least as good as the Ace double dummy; it assumes it'll know when to overtake on the second round (standard double dummy flaw).

On the second round, it plays low because there are too many occasions when overtaking costs a trick at MPs (eg every time declarer has Txx). It comfortably finds the overtake at IMPs, where there's nothing to lose.

#4 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-29, 18:14

so GIB would never lead Q from KQ109...?
I gave up on robots, but sometimes get stuck playing with
them when someone leaves a game....they suck!

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-29, 18:23

View Postpigpenz, on 2022-June-29, 18:14, said:

so GIB would never lead Q from KQ109...?
I gave up on robots, but sometimes get stuck playing with
them when someone leaves a game....they suck!

Nah, Q lead is so avant-garde. But maybe the tried and tested 4th best 9.

#6 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-29, 19:56

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-June-27, 19:28, said:

GIB doesn't make any assumptions that the lead is from a strong suit or that West must have the ten of hearts.

Under that assumption, why GIB plays as it does is pretty straightforward.
[...]

Now all we need is a justification for the HQ rather than the H9. Does GIB really treat the Q, 10 and 9 as equals in this situation?

#7 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-29, 21:03

View Postsfi, on 2022-June-29, 19:56, said:

Now all we need is a justification for the HQ rather than the H9. Does GIB really treat the Q, 10 and 9 as equals in this situation?

Well, they are 100% equals after the J has been played.. sure, if West were human, you would play the 9 so that East would have choice but to overtake with the Ace, but that's not something that double dummy analysis could ever tell a robot.

#8 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-29, 21:59

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-June-29, 21:03, said:

Well, they are 100% equals after the J has been played.. sure, if West were human, you would play the 9 so that East would have choice but to overtake with the Ace, but that's not something that double dummy analysis could ever tell a robot.

So in practice do the robots have a 2/3 chance of defeating the contract or a 0% chance?

#9 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-29, 22:55

0% - it'll always continue with the Q; I believe when choosing amongst equals it follows strict rules based on leading conventions etc. Sometimes that rule is to randomise (when following to a restricted choice situation), but in this case is high from equals.

#10 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-30, 01:12

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-June-29, 22:55, said:

0% - it'll always continue with the Q; I believe when choosing amongst equals it follows strict rules based on leading conventions etc. Sometimes that rule is to randomise (when following to a restricted choice situation), but in this case is high from equals.

I don't believe it randomises in restricted choice situations either - I'm yet to go wrong playing the robot to play the higher (or highest) of equals there. So maybe it just always plays the top of a sequence.

#11 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-30, 01:53

Oh that's right, I forgot the forum post where we concluded it always played the higher card. But yeah, distinguishing equals would require recursing into partner's hand which adds a significant amount of computation time. Far too much for GIB at least.

#12 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-30, 14:38

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-June-30, 01:53, said:

Oh that's right, I forgot the forum post where we concluded it always played the higher card. But yeah, distinguishing equals would require recursing into partner's hand which adds a significant amount of computation time. Far too much for GIB at least.

Recursion is usually more of a drag on programmer's CPU than that of the computer.
Could GIB not in any case maintain a table of equivalence which updates trick to trick with minimal computation time?
Just programming laziness I would think.

#13 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-30, 15:18

View Postpescetom, on 2022-June-30, 14:38, said:

Recursion is usually more of a drag on programmer's CPU than that of the computer.
Could GIB not in any case maintain a table of equivalence which updates trick to trick with minimal computation time?
Just programming laziness I would think.

I'm not sure what you mean. GIB doesn't have a problem computing equivalence. We're talking about *distinguishing* equivalent cards - ie figuring out that playing a low card from equals here will make it easier for East to find the correct defense than playing high from equals.

The only way to do that would be recursively - rather than just simulating deals from West's perspective, for every such deal, you have to move into another player's seat and then run a second simulation to see what ideas they might come up with if they had that hand. This recursion results in an exponential increase in the number of simulations run, and the time it takes to perform the calculations would immediately skyrocket.

#14 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-03, 21:22

Out of curiosity I put this through another major Bridge program

Same auction, led King to East's 4, then switched to diamond, East unblocked hearts during subsequent play, and finally led back the Jack but sadly West had discarded one to many hearts and the contract was made exactly

EDIT forced a lead of the Q on trick two, sadly also blocked - I realise it already has been blocked by the play of the 4 and the Queen - my bad
Will report back if I find anything that defeats the contract.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users