BBO Discussion Forums: problem after aggressive pre-empt - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

problem after aggressive pre-empt

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-May-27, 10:46

5CM, strong NT, MPs

This is a problem situation my partner was in. Your call?

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-27, 11:03

Very strongly depends on what opener's double means - because whatever it means, he doesn't have that.

In my strong NT system, where support doubles stop at 2 of responder's suit, and the double would be "do something intelligent", i.e. "cards" I'm assuming partner has the weak NT-ish hand. He could have the long diamond hand; he could have the 16-ish with a stiff heart and concern that your response is on a 6-count; there are a lot of hands here, which is why they do this.

I don't think, in a 5cM system, that 4 is "longer hearts"; in fact, I'd expect it to be the suits reversed, assuming you're not going to GF that hand. So I'm bidding 4 and paying off when it's wrong.

If double is "do something intelligent", I might try that, because of the tricks in clubs; but I'd expect partner to play me for KJT83 J74 instead.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-May-27, 11:31

It’s close between double and 4H. The suit texture is ok for 4H, as is the overall strength….we rate to have a play for game and slam is unlikely unless partner likes his hand…he could still have a fairly good hand but be unable to bid over 3S since we’ve not shown anything beyond a one level response

We could belong in clubs, but I’m not bidding them since doing so basically denies a heart suit such as the one I have.

I’d go with double. It preserves the most options, ranging from 3N (picture AJx Qx Kxxx Kxxx) to a number v 3S (picture AQx x AKxxx Kxxx) to 4H (picture Kxx Qxx AQxxx Kx) to a club contract (picture Axx x AKxxx KJxx). If he bids 4D, you bid 4H.

He shouldn’t bid 3N with only one stopper unless he has say AKQxxx in diamonds as a likely trick source. He shouldn’t sit for the double without good spades in context and short hearts.

In the old days this double would have been considered penalty, but those days are long gone in advanced to expert bridge. As people started interfering more, good players realized that they were being deprived of bidding space…using these doubles as ‘cards’ rather than penalty greatly improves the chances of getting to a good spot. Obviously success is not guaranteed…that’s why people preempt!

If you did have the very rare penalty double hand here… say you were 4=5=1=3 with good spades…you just have to bid 3N, if you have sufficient values. Otherwise you pass and take your 50 a trick.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-27, 12:02

This was my hand:

KJT3
A4
AKT73

Partner passed and we ended up defending 3 and took +250, which was a bad score when 4 is an easy make our way thanks to Qxx onside and the club finesse also working. RHO had six spades headed by the AQ.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-May-27, 12:15

View PostAL78, on 2022-May-27, 12:02, said:

This was my hand:

KJT3
A4
AKT73

Partner passed and we ended up defending 3 and took +250, which was a bad score when 4 is an easy make our way thanks to Qxx onside and the club finesse also working. RHO had six spades headed by the AQ.

Double would have worked rather well, I suspect. KJ10x might lose a trick to an endplay but I’d expect to be able to avoid that. AK of diamonds the three rounds of hearts, cross in clubs (if the king is onside, even better, then a spade through. 1100.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-27, 12:29

View Postmikeh, on 2022-May-27, 12:15, said:

Double would have worked rather well, I suspect. KJ10x might lose a trick to an endplay but I’d expect to be able to avoid that. AK of diamonds the three rounds of hearts, cross in clubs (if the king is onside, even better, then a spade through. 1100.

I led the A and QJxxx came down in the dummy, all following, so switched to ace and another heart. On the third round declarer ruffed with the two so I overruffed with the three. I switched to a club and we got a couple of club tricks. Can't remember what happened after that but we ended up with nine tricks in total.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-27, 20:31

Well, I admit I didn't play partner for a strong NT...double works nicely.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users