BBO Discussion Forums: Thousands of SVG requests causes major lag - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thousands of SVG requests causes major lag

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-January-14, 15:26

Log into BridgeBase, then open developer tools, and look at the Network section.

There are 16 SVG files which are repeatedly requested. If you do nothing, then every 5 seconds or so, the full set of 16 is re-requested 2 or 3 times. If you start moving your mouse anywhere within the window this is amplified - in 10-15 seconds you're quickly up to over a thousand SVG requests.

These are served from the browser cache, so it's not actually re-downloading the image every time. But the site asking the browser to fetch information from its cache thousands of times in a short period is a sign of something being very, very wrong.

Video demo attached - watch the request count as the bottom left as first I do nothing, and then I start moving the mouse - with Network Tools open my browser already gets very laggy just doing that, so the request count hangs for a bit before quickly jumping up to 1000 then 1400.

Note this won't just be about SVGs; if it's requesting SVGs then no doubt it's doing lots of other HTML processing way more than it should be. At the very least, some sort of throttling on mouse movement could be put in place (it's as if every pixel of mouse movement generates a full rebuild of the HTML), but I think the issue lies much deeper..

https://www.youtube....h?v=6cTsowp9nYI

(This probably explains why the site can be extremely laggy at times, especially in games like Robot Reward where you're trying to click cards as fast as possible, which can often result in the whole screen hanging / cards getting out of place).

(Tested on Firefox 96.0.1, Windows 10)

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-14, 20:25

It seems to be a Firefox specific problem.
It doesn't happen on Chrome 97.xxxxx
I haven't tried other browsers.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-15, 00:11

What time did that happen today

Whatever it was caused massive problems on my whole LAN for hours (Android/Windows, PCs, phones, printers, the lot)

I thought it was the security issues in Windows

PS I was using Edge but also had chrome open at the time. I stopped using BB in chrome because of slowness issues
Windows 10 of course

Exact sequence of events

Started BB 12 board MP tourney at zero hour
Next 20 minutes like wading through treacle
Partner says she cannot access router anymore from her phone
I say can you use mobile data until I'm finished
another 5 minutes of treacle followed by sudden increase in speed, as if a blockage had been removed
Finished tourney
Rebooted computer.Went to help partner
No access to painfully slow router from any device in home
etc

Thought we had hackers in our wifi. Turned off every device and router
Contacted ISP
Left everything off for a few hours
Came back and everything is working having asked ISP if they could supply a replacement router if needed etc

Other important info. Voice over IP worked fine. Appeared to be some kind of interference with the LAN/WiFi etc

I didn't even get to see what state the poor old router was in since I couldn't log on to it and it turned off for its own safety for a while

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-15, 00:42

It's not time or LAN based, so what you are describing is unrelated.

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-15, 10:10

Verified the effect in firefox 95.0 in arch linux (not that you would expect OS to make a difference here). I'm getting 1000 requests in 4 seconds of mouse movements, but in real life haven't noticed any lethargy or lagginess. But I am a pretty lethargic player.

#6 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-15, 17:19

smerriman, on 2022-January-15, 00:42, said:

It's not time or LAN based, so what you are describing is unrelated.

I apologise for thinking anything to do with multiple requests and delays in Bridgbase could affect my LAN at all
I am very impressed at the level of technological development at BridgeBase that is bypassing my LAN to get to my computer somehow
Magic!

And I apologise for in any way thinking the weird stuff going on coincidently was related to any other BB related issue (involving lags and spurious requests)
I will start a separate thread :)

#7 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-15, 18:18

No problem. The aspect I'm referring to is all handled by javascript / your browser cache, so all runs locally without any ingoing or outgoing connections (indeed, can be replicated after loading the login screen then disconnecting from the internet completely).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users