Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

limited 6/5s in comp

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-March-05, 09:56

Anyone play 1H (3C) P (4C) 4H as 5S/6H? I seem to remember that Meckwell had some instances where rebidding their major implied a two-suited hand. Especially if one is playing limited opening hands (11-15 say) coupled with NAMYATS (two ways to preempt 4H).

In some cases it might be harder, like 1S P P (4H) 4S would be 6S/5m. Or maybe 6S/5C and double would be 6S/5D.

Maybe everyone is doing this. Idk.

#2 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-March-06, 18:31

Can't the 6 - 5 hand be handled with a X after 1 - (3) - P - (4)? It's hardly conceivable that responder will pass or anything more than 4, after which a correction to 4 would presumably show the hand. The X can handle the two-suited hand with
and a minor as well, and it also preserves the penalty option.

It seems that a treatment that uses a 4M rebid to show two suited hands in competition also requires all single suited major hands to be opened with 4M.

#3 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-March-06, 20:21

View Postfoobar, on 2022-March-06, 18:31, said:

It seems that a treatment that uses a 4M rebid to show two suited hands in competition also requires all single suited major hands to be opened with 4M.

Yes this is true. I'm assuming that we're talking about limited hands and that we have NAMYATS too. Maybe there are two many hands that we would still want to open 1M.
Let's see. If I had AJxx AKTxxxx V Jx I don't want to open this NAMYATS, am too weak for 1C, and still want to rebid 4H after 1H (4D) P P ?
So maybe this is a bad idea or maybe I need to loosen the definition of 2-suiter to be 7/4s or even 6/4s or maybe I need to make a NAMYATS bid here.

View Postfoobar, on 2022-March-06, 18:31, said:

Can't the 6 - 5 hand be handled with a X after 1 - (3) - P - (4)? It's hardly conceivable that responder will pass or anything more than 4, after which a correction to 4 would presumably show the hand. The X can handle the two-suited hand with
and a minor as well, and it also preserves the penalty option.

Quite possibly. I guess I'm wondering how often opener should be doubling back in with a limited hand and three places to play. Say I hold AJx AKxxx Jxxx x and it goes 1H (3C) P (4C) or even 1H (4C) P P, then I have the shape for a takeout double but not a lot of strength. I understand I have to protect if we're playing negative doubles that high. But my question is if we were not doubling back in with such a hand, wouldn't it be better to use double to show the second suit so that partner could judge whether to pass for penalty vs pick that second suit?

I could really be all wet here. I do seem to remember Meckwell having agreements (long ago) something along this line but maybe not.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users