BBO Discussion Forums: Opening a weak 2 with J9752 and 10 points. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening a weak 2 with J9752 and 10 points.

#1 User is offline   Wainfleet 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-February-03, 07:24

RHO opened 2D (they play 3 weak 2s). I had 7 points and a good 6 spades (KQ10852), so not enough to overcall a preempt (strong over weak etc). Their partner raised to 2D.
Turned out opener had 10 points and a 5 card diamond suit J9752 and said she had miscounted her diamonds. Everyone else made 3S+1 and we got our opponents down 1 trick, a bottom

I guess it's just tough - she misled her partner as well as me, so no adjustment. Is that right?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-February-03, 07:55

Yup, rub of the green, unless their partner had a hand that should have raised to more which is unlikely if opener had 10.

What was your partner's hand ?

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-03, 09:28

Technically, no question of adjustment because there was no infraction: you got the correct explanation of the agreement (weak 2) and she deviated from that unexpectedly, which is her right. The fact that she did so by accident is immaterial, although the Laws are generally very forgiving about mistakes in any case.

#4 User is offline   Wainfleet 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-03, 13:59

View PostWainfleet, on 2022-February-03, 13:57, said:

Everyone else played in 3 making 10 tricks

#5 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2022-February-03, 16:08

I trust E is a beginner, as well as mistake prone.
NS were just unlucky.

#6 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-03, 17:05

View Postpescetom, on 2022-February-03, 16:08, said:

I trust E is a beginner, as well as mistake prone.

If they saw the A as a A then 2 is understandable.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2022-February-03, 19:23

What misjudgement? I had the A in with my diamonds, sorry.
What misjudgement? We open very light, I meant to open 1, and 2 came out and I didn't want to worry about it.
What misjudgement? We play 2 bids very wide-range, and "10 points and 5-card diamonds" is part of our agreement - no matter what the suit strength.
What misjudgement? We play EHAA, and I would still have opened 2 with that hand if the A was replaced with the 2.
What misjudgement? We play 10-12 1NT, and I opened it with the stiff A (surely you aren't overcalling 1NT with the same weak 2 spade bid?)

It was unlucky that you hit the pair that thinks this is a 2 opener. For whatever reason, as long as it's legal. Nobody else did, and you get the same zero on this hand as that other pair did when you were the only ones to find the making grand - whether because you could find the off-suit Jack nobody else could or because this time, both finesses were right.

They bid better/worse/differently from me/everyone else and we got a bad score has never been an issue for the director. What is an issue for the director is "they explained the bid as X and it's actually Y, and we would have done something different." But here, "5+ diamonds, <12 HCP" and you still wouldn't (shouldn't) have preempted over a preempt. It's just unfortunate that this hand, their crazy bidding was right. Next time, -110 looks really good opposite all the -400s in 3NT, that west would have bid at your table too if partner hadn't implied not having two outside controls.

Everybody gets fixed occasionally. Deal with it knowing that if they bid like that all the time, you'll get this board back and then some very soon.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-February-04, 00:31

Given that opener has bad diamonds, good controls outside, a decent 4 card major (and three cards in the other major), there are many ways opener's choice can go wrong. You just were unlucky.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users