• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Creating a hand database Storing hand records for later querying and retrieval

#1 User is offline   Evies Dad 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-22, 05:56

Greetings.

Currently I keep a simple record of the result of hands played in order to get a feel for how my system is performing long term.
I will pre-categorise the hand - e.g. we opened 1NT, we overcalled 2H, we didn't overcall their 1NT - at the time I make the record.
This is very basic and doesn't allow me to go back and add in new hand attributes that I might want to see the effects of.

What I'd like to do is start creating a database of hands played that I can run queries against - return all hands where we opened 1NT with 11 hcp.

This would probably be PBN or xml hand formats.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way of storing such records so that I don't need to completely reinvent the wheel ?

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-April-22, 08:44

Double Dummy Solver (DDS), https://www.bridgeca...downloadDD.html, has a proprietary database format that has extensive querying capability but it is not extendable. For example, it can easily do the query you asked for, showing all the hands that you opened 1NT with 11 points. One query I could not do is how often you have failed to overcall 1NT: there is no capability for giving the non-opening side parameters on their point count.

DDS can handle PBN or LIN input files and can download records directly from BBO.

It is free and easy to try if you download a month's worth of BBO records.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-23, 13:26

View Postpaulg, on 2022-April-22, 08:44, said:

Double Dummy Solver (DDS), https://www.bridgeca...downloadDD.html, has a proprietary database format that has extensive querying capability but it is not extendable. For example, it can easily do the query you asked for, showing all the hands that you opened 1NT with 11 points. One query I could not do is how often you have failed to overcall 1NT: there is no capability for giving the non-opening side parameters on their point count.

DDS can handle PBN or LIN input files and can download records directly from BBO.

It is free and easy to try if you download a month's worth of BBO records.

You can also merge each month so that you can build a database for all you games on BBO
also if you want to have something added just email Bob and he will most likely answer your question for you or attempt to add it to DDS

#4 User is offline   Evies Dad 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-24, 14:20

I've downloaded and had a play. Looks useful once I worked out "Ctrl -"

#5 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-09, 15:06

one good thing to look at there are a bunch of hands from JEC matches
I look to do a query where JEC opens 1NT and opps overcall....its a good way to
learn how they handle interference.