Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

howell movements

#1 User is offline   4billybob6 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-December-29, 14:57

I am a new director and am wondering if I can set up a straight howell movement where each team plays all the others ( will only be 4 or 5 tables at most). I don't see where i could do this in bbo.( maybe type in +howell+ in the description box?). I just ran a small game for 3.5 tables and i assumed it would be a simple Howell setup, but it wasn't. Also, if there is a half table , can you just insert a robot team right at the start ? After having scoured the forum, am I to understand that I must ASK for permission to run an actual Howell movement? Whom would I contact?

#2 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-December-30, 03:21

Email tournaments@bridgebase.com and ask for permission to run Howell movements.

In the past, and I've no idea if it has changed as I dare not try it, is that the tournament creator must be online when a Howell tournament starts, otherwise it will fail. This is the BBO user who created the tournament, not the assigned TD(s). For a non-Howell tournament this is not the case.

You may wish to read up on the movements and restrictions at https://news.bridgeb...r-tournaments/.

If there is a half-table, then you can substitute in a robot pair.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-December-30, 16:13

View Postpaulg, on 2021-December-30, 03:21, said:

Email tournaments@bridgebase.com and ask for permission to run Howell movements.

I don't think this is required any more. We now allow anyone to run Howell movements.

#4 User is offline   ebu_14 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-January-03, 15:35

View Postbarmar, on 2021-December-30, 16:13, said:

I don't think this is required any more. We now allow anyone to run Howell movements.

Except the tourney host still needs to be online at the start for the Howell to run.

#5 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-January-04, 02:48

View Postebu_14, on 2022-January-03, 15:35, said:

Except the tourney host still needs to be online at the start for the Howell to run.

I repeatedly ask for this condition to be removed as it is superfluous if everyone is permitted to run Howell movements. But it places an unnecessary constraint when our virtual club wishes to employ a TD to run our events: or, more likely, we want to share TDs with other virtual clubs and their tournaments (but retain our income).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users