Vul against not at IMP you have

QTx
Axx
8xx
Q8xx

Right hand opponent is dealer and the bidding goes

(3K)-p-(p)-X;
(p)-?

What are your experiences passing here. I geberally prefer passing as it is the most likely way to score a plus. What do you think?
If you were to run, where to?
Bridge is not a game, it's a lifestyle.

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-November-03, 16:35

I hope I got this right.

First a point that in an international forum like this (as opposed to the Dutch section on this site) you should strain to use the suit symbols. In English, "K" isn't a suit. I'm guessing it's clubs from other languages. If it's hearts, then there's different answers.

Second, what's their preempt style? Do you know? When you ask, what answer do you get? The good old rubber bridge players have AKJxxxx and possibly a card, and provided dummy has a card or two, this is cold. If you're playing against me, same thing - my 3 minor preempts in first or second "are happy to put dummy down in 3NT". Our 3 major preempts, on the other hand, at this vulnerability, could be JTxxxxx and a card. If you're playing against an expert under 60, KTxxxx or KTxxxxx might be expected.

Third, what's your doubling style direct? Obviously you'd never do anything but pass with this hand, but what does partner have to protect against? 4=4=2=3 13 count? 15 count? The more you will pass, the less partner will have and feel they have to come in with good shape. Similarly, what would partner do with a (54)=3=1? Bid the long major, or double and hope to catch a fit?

Currently, they've been doubled into game at IMPs. Not vulnerable, so only 470 vs 110 if it makes. But only 100 into 50 if it goes down 1, and 300 into 100 if you manage to get it 2 - and if you do, could you make 3NT? Will it be bid at the other table? At matchpoints, I'm very likely to float this "best chance for a plus"; at IMPs, the cost if it's wrong is high, the cost of pulling if it's wrong is low(er; 5 worst likely vs 8).

I can't answer this; what's right for my partnerships isn't right for others (and what's right for some of my partnerships isn't right for other of my partnerships). But there's some questions to answer before your call.

Finally, I'm not running here - I'm taking out my partner's takeout double. That's *usually* what partner wants you to do. And I'd have to think about 3NT being in the potential takeouts (but not if partner has to protect a much bigger hand than I have).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2021-November-03, 16:39

West can have a pretty good hand on this auction and east is often going to have 5 or 6 tricks. 3 could be cold.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-November-03, 17:38

I have 2 tricks and no fit. Although partner can be a bit light in protecting seat he doesn’t have to be. I pass 100% of the time and will lead a spade.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-04, 02:58

Hi,

If I have a stopper in the preempt suit, i.e. they opened clubs, I bid 3NT.
If I dont have a stopper in the preempt suit, i.e. they opened diamonds,
it becomes a lot harder, but I would not convert, I would go with 4C.

Ok they are green vs. red, and the preempt may be garbage, but the partner of the
preempt bidder knowes this as well, and given that partner was short in their suit
and that he will strive to reopen to protect me, there is no reason to believe, we have
the majority.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2021-November-04, 15:13

I think passing is clear with this type of hand. Of course it can lead to a disaster, but then again bidding can lead to a disaster.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-November-09, 22:31

View Postmycroft, on 2021-November-03, 16:35, said:

In English, "K" isn't a suit. I'm guessing it's clubs from other languages.

It is in Dutch (klaver) but in German (Karo).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users