Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please include EU as an option

#1 User is offline   lenehan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-October-18, 02:26

Please include the European Union as an option in the account. There are many of us who prefer our EU citizenship to that of a particular country.

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-October-18, 02:50

Scandinavia is not a country and the EU is not also. It helps players to know what country you are from as you can converse with them in their language. I speak/write Swedish, English, some French, German, Italian, Spanish but I do not write or speak EU. Though I like the idea of EU collectiveness [is that the right word?] as a Swede.

#3 User is offline   lenehan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-October-18, 12:49

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-October-18, 02:50, said:

Scandinavia is not a country and the EU is not also. It helps players to know what country you are from as you can converse with them in their language. I speak/write Swedish, English, some French, German, Italian, Spanish but I do not write or speak EU. Though I like the idea of EU collectiveness [is that the right word?] as a Swede.

That's an invalid comparison. There is no Scandinavian citizenship, as opposed to the EU citizenship: https://en.wikipedia..._European_Union
The point about language is irrelevant: BBO is not a discussion club. The "country" option is supposed to be about the allegiance. For many EU is more important than the country of birth.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-October-18, 16:00

Since we don't have a language field in the profile, we use country as a stand-in for it. Compatibility stars and "help me find a game" look for other players with the same country, on the assumption that you'll be more comfortable playing with people you can converse with.

#5 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2021-October-19, 04:29

View Postlenehan, on 2021-October-18, 12:49, said:

The point about language is irrelevant: BBO is not a discussion club. The "country" option is supposed to be about the allegiance. For many EU is more important than the country of birth.

Language is very important to bridge. And Bridge is a social game, not a globalization tool. If you don't like your government or country just put 'other'.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users