• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Book Reviews

#421 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-August-22, 15:55

2007 World Bridge Championships. Brian Senior. 336pp.
Grade=A
Level=General Interest

Another solid book based on the World Championships. This one covers 2007 in Shanghai. The 38th Bermuda Bowl and 16th Venice Cup along with 4th Seniors and 6th World Transnational Open Teams Championship. A book players at all levels will enjoy.

#422 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2008-August-23, 03:08

Virtual European Championships, part 1 by Krzysztof Martens

You declare 170 hands during a fictive European Championships. The opening lead and sometimes one or two more plays are given. Make your plan. Depending whether your plan is winning or not, you may gain or lose some IMPs (the result at the other table is given).

It is quite tough. The hands are categorized at four different levels, but to me there seems to be little correlation between category and difficulty.

The intermediate player will miss some explanations of why a particular play was necessary. For example it is assumed that one knows how a safety play will look like in a particular combination. So the book is probably more suitable for players with slightly better knowledge of declarer play than mine.

All in all a very enjoyable and useful book. The English translation is not so good.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#423 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2008-September-17, 17:36

Partnership Bidding - Robson + Segal

I liked this book more the second time reading it.
Having more experience helps! :)

I remember Slothy making a comment years ago about reading this book at the right time in his career. I had not read it at the right time the first time.
This was teh right time.

Are these ideas widely used (outside of a few in the forum) - such as the fit bids and jumps?

I especially liked the chapter on presure bidding.

Recommended for partnerships with some experience. You don't need to be experts, but it helps having a few years of experience.

#424 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2008-November-06, 15:11

Modern Constructive Bidding. Marshall Miles.

This was a continuation of his earlier Competitive Bidding in the 21st Century which reviewed well, but more on the uncontested auction.

The topics necessarily are more well-trod than those of the other book so it does not break a whole lot of new ground for a seasoned player. It kind of rambles through modern 2/1 and explains the motives for treatments used by tournament regulars, about the level of complexity of Washington Standard. The author has some original ideas, particularly on strong 1C and 2C responses. But overall there is not much useful here for anyone that reads Bridge World.

In my opinion, the author's style is consistent in the books I have read. For people new to Miles it is a little dry, no CAPS or catch-phrases or rules of <number>. He tends not to be exhaustive but presents an argument for each treatment and moves on, as if he were talking to himself. It would be interesting to discuss bridge with him (probably not with Mike Lawrence but his books are the best by far).

#425 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-06, 15:28

It would be interesting to discuss bridge with him (probably not with Mike Lawrence but his books are the best by far).

I happened to sit down next to Mike Lawrence for breakfast in Vegas. He noticed my convention card so we started talking about bridge. It was fun.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#426 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2008-November-07, 00:45

Ax
KJ9xx
x
Axxxx

JTx
Txx
AQxx
KQJx

Ive played this last week and I owe 99% of the imps to Kelsey.

4H you get a tiny club for lead.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#427 User is offline   lordorange 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-January-12, 06:29

Killing Defence at Bridge by H.Kelsey.

A good book for intermediate level players who'll learn about counting, signals and planning their play to improve their game. My copy is dated 1997 and has a foreword by Ron Klinger stating that he reads and re-read it several times each year. This makes me wonder whether he found the same mistakes that I found or that he just didn't bother to correct them. I found about 10 of them, which is not that much considering the total hands in the book, but still someone needs to address them.

Let's look at page 47 where there is the following hand:

You are East and your partner leads 4 to your king and South plays the seven. How should you continue? Kelsey's analyse that South must hold 5/5 in spades and diamonds and two clubs. He suggests a forcing play and continues with ace and a small club. This is all correct, but then he remarks " With West holding the eight of trumps there is no way for South to make eleven tricks after a third round of clubs"

I'm sorry but I beg to differ..... can you see how South makes? (By means of clear plan with a high percentage of success)

Henry

#428 User is offline   lordorange 

• PipPip

Posted 2009-January-12, 07:00

Killing Defence at Bridge

On page 150 there is another hand that needs correction.

South is in 6 and receives the lead of K. The 2 is played from the dummy, your partner plays the three and declarer the five. How do you continue? Kelsey correctly concludes that declarer can make his contract by trump reduction and let you lead your trump 5 to beat the contract.

But why did declarer throw away the contract at trick 1 and there is no mention of it?

Declarer can see that the contract is solid but a club trick and a possible 4/1 in trumps. He should therefore play on trump reduction and use the club as exit card in an endplay. So, in your mind, take trick 1 with the ace and play ace. cross to Q and play a diamond for a ruff. Cash ace and cross to J. play a diamond for another ruff, play A and back to K. Play another diamond and ruff again. Now you have K and 10 of hearts left with a small club. Just exit with the club and wait for the play into your hand. Simple to exercise in your mind and you can play in accordance.

Henry

#429 User is offline   lordorange 

• PipPip

Posted 2009-January-12, 07:37

Killing Defence at Bridge by H.Kelsey

On page 130 this problem appears:

South opened a weak NT (12-14) and after 2 by North and 2 by South, North settles for 3NT. You are in the East seat and partner leads J that takes the trick. West continues with 9 and you drop your Q under dummy's K. Declarer now plays 3 from dummy. how do you defend?
I like this problem and Kelsey's analyses. He let you play K , play your last and West is left with the remaining hearts and an entry in A. A clear example of killing defence

But put yourself in declarer's seat and your level is advanced or expert would you play the hand like that? In my opinion, after the first two tricks your trail of thoughts should be along the lines of: since East didn't play Q on the lead, he must have 3 hearts and West has 5. There are 8 tricks for grabs, let's look at the diamonds. If I play a diamond and East takes, my heart stop will disappear and when west has the other top in diamonds and thus an entry, I can't make more.

What are my other chances? A 3-3 in clubs maybe, that can only be achieved when I run the spades and someone has to discard. Let's find out some more about the hand.

So, simply run your four card spade and watch the signs. On the lay of the cards, west will probably throw two clubs and you can exit from North with a small club underleading A and K. When you get in again with the ace (or diamond) you simply take your three club tricks for contract.

Henry

#430 User is offline   Trumpace 

• Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-12, 12:46

lordorange, on Jan 12 2009, 07:29 AM, said:

Killing Defence at Bridge by H.Kelsey.

You are East and your partner leads 4 to your king and South plays the seven. How should you continue? Kelsey's analyse that South must hold 5/5 in spades and diamonds and two clubs. He suggests a forcing play and continues with ace and a small club. This is all correct, but then he remarks " With West holding the eight of trumps there is no way for South to make eleven tricks after a third round of clubs"

I'm sorry but I beg to differ..... can you see how South makes? (By means of clear plan with a high percentage of success)

Assuming contract is 5, I don't see a way for declarer to make more than 10 tricks. What did you have in mind?

#431 User is offline   lordorange 

• PipPip

Posted 2009-January-13, 06:47

Sorry that I forgot to mention that the contract is 5, however it is deductable from the comments ( 8 of trumps with west and 11 tricks).
Have another good look and spend some time on it :D

Henry

#432 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-13, 18:23

That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#433 User is offline   Vilgan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Hiking, MTG, Go, Pacific NW.

Posted 2009-January-17, 10:44

I don't see any route to 11 tricks after the club continuation.

Describe your plan?

#434 User is offline   Vilgan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Hiking, MTG, Go, Pacific NW.

Posted 2009-January-28, 18:20

I was looking at a list of recent bridge books, and a few interested me. If you have read any of the following books, a review would be much appreciated! :)

1) Gary Brown's Learn to Play Bridge. Thinking about giving this to a friend w/ spades experience but 0 bridge experience.

2) Stewart's World of Bridge

3) The Lone Wolff by Bobby Wolff

4) Duplicate Bridge at Home by Gitelman/Horton

Thanks for any comments/insights! :)

#435 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-06, 11:53

>) The Lone Wolff by Bobby Wolff

Pass

I did not care for it, and if one is unfamiliar with the people it will be even less interesting.

#436 User is offline   vuroth 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-08, 18:16

How to Read the Opponent's Cards, Mike Lawrence.

As a developing intermediate, I heartily endorse this book. The presentation is straightforward and easy to understand, even when the hands become more challenging.

Even though I've only just finished reading it, I feel like reading this book is a turning point in my development.
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.

#437 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2009-February-08, 18:45

vuroth, on Feb 8 2009, 06:16 PM, said:

As a developing intermediate, I heartily endorse this book. The presentation is straightforward and easy to understand, even when the hands become more challenging.

Even though I've only just finished reading it, I feel like reading this book is a turning point in my development.

This book is absolutely superb and a must have. If you learn it well, your declarer play will be as good as the average adv+ in MBC.

#438 User is offline   sireenb 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Bridge, Bridge, Music, Art

Posted 2009-February-09, 16:57

neilkaz, on Feb 8 2009, 07:45 PM, said:

vuroth, on Feb 8 2009, 06:16 PM, said:

As a developing intermediate, I heartily endorse this book.  The presentation is straightforward and easy to understand, even when the hands become more challenging.

This book is absolutely superb and a must have. If you learn it well, your declarer play will be as good as the average adv+ in MBC.

Whenever anybody asks me to recommend a book to help their play, this is always the first one that pops to my mind!

#439 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-23, 14:07

Don't forget the sequel to How to Read your Opponents Cards!

Its titles
How to play Card Combinations by Mike Lawrence

It covers a number of situations like which card to play from KJx in dummy, based on reading the cards.

#440 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-June-17, 13:35

2008 World Bridge Games Beijing. 384pp.
Grade=A+
Level=General Interest.

Another great book in the series. Buy this book! Players at all levels will enjoy weeks of bridge reading entertainment.

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users