Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tolerance Why are some players so mean

#1 User is offline   Pixiewood 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-September-21, 12:46

I am playing in the casual area, find a table. I cannot believe the abuse, am I an 'idiot', am I drunk and there is worse still. What is wrong with everyone. These words would not be said face to face. This is the last place we should be receiving abuse or indeed witnessing. Its a disgrace.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-September-21, 15:51

Welcome to the Internet
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-21, 16:58

Dozens, maybe hundreds, of topics like yours over the years.

e.g. Another abuse topic

The recommendation is to take a screenshot of the abusive text and send to abuse@bridgebase.com

Instead of keeping discipline secret, IMO BBO should prominently advertise usernames that have been kicked off BBO and the reasons.

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-21, 19:29

The simplest way to stop yourself from being abused on the casual table is to start your own table.
That way, when you don't like the cut of someone's gib, you can boot them yourself.

#5 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-September-21, 23:09

If you want an overall experience with how much abuse there is: turn on Lobby Chat. I've done it a couple times and was horrified at how many times I saw abuse being hurled at another player (but the person behind the vilifying was too stupid to know it was going to the lobby). Even contacted BBO but all I got was a standard explanation of how it was possible to report a person.
Might just be me but there seems to be a growing number of 'keyboard warriors' venting on other players

#6 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-21, 23:34

That's a great idea! I only had to wait for 30S.

di***f→Lobby: what a idiot !...Cl perdante !

I was on the receiving end of this genius once myself.

#7 User is offline   darheron 

• Pip

Posted 2021-September-23, 09:22

I am appalled by the level of vitriol spat out by certain individuals.
I shall never ever visit your demonic site again.As for the so called game of bridge,you can keep it!

#8 User is offline   thesidster 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-September-25, 03:10

View PostPixiewood, on 2021-September-21, 12:46, said:

I am playing in the casual area, find a table. I cannot believe the abuse, am I an 'idiot', am I drunk and there is worse still. What is wrong with everyone. These words would not be said face to face. This is the last place we should be receiving abuse or indeed witnessing. Its a disgrace.

You have hit the reason yourself in your statement above - "it would not be said face to face".

Over the last 3 decades, as the internet and virtual interaction came to dominate the lives of
millions of individuals, the concept of a face - a live, feeling person - disappeared from the
thoughts of many who lived their lives on the keyboard. Needless to say, this wasnt so bad
in the earlier days, the 90s and early noughties, when I used to play online on the fledgling
internet. People were a lot more courteous in general, and we often discussed sports, art,
many other things while playing a few rounds. The card play was almost secondary to the social
nature which used to be such a dominant ethos of the game. After all, most of us were no
champions, and we all knew that.

People born after the internet became a dominant thing, many of them have probably not played
a game of bridge ( or chess, or whatever ) "face-to-face".

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users