Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Redouble

#1 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-August-07, 20:11

Playing in a robot game just now, my partner opened 1C, and it went (X) - XX - (1D) - P - (2D) - P - (P) - P! Part of the explanation of redouble is "opponents cannot play I doubled below 2NT," so when I passed I assumed my robot partner would have to double or bid. We set them 3, but lost 6 IMPs for getting only 300. Under what circumstances is GIB allowed to pass like that after a redouble? (Sorry, I can't access the hands right now as it was a daylong game.)

#2 User is offline   2200 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-August-10, 03:39

What I would suggest, is to simply neglect it.
Don't even bother "science" or "logic", even basic one, because GIB doesn't have one.
Redouble promises "the hand belongs to us so it promises another bid", "I've already created a game forcing auction so pass now is forcing"......
Don't even think about it.

As an experienced GIB player, what I can tell you is, the only thing GIB knows, is points counting.
My rule of thumb:
if you are worrying that GIB would not "get it", It will not for sure.
Do not trust it. Trust yourself. If you worry about GIB, even slightly, don't hesitate, make decisions for it at once. Because playing with GIB, is simply another game, if you want to win a plus score.

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-August-10, 15:08

bixby, on 2021-August-07, 20:11, said:

Under what circumstances is GIB allowed to pass like that after a redouble?

AFAIK, this is part of GIB's advanced artificial intelligence module. GIB has figured out that being too predictable is a disadvantage and that it can score better by coloring outside the lines. So GIB makes some unbelievable bids that may be losers in the short run, but turn out to be long term winners.

I could be wrong and maybe GIB just had an electrical surge that fried its circuits.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users