BBO Discussion Forums: Choice of editor - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Choice of editor WHich editor do you use to edit scripts

#1 User is offline   J Lodahl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-June-17, 04:16

I am writing scripts in a simple editor e.g. notepad. Occasionally I get misbalanced parentheses, misspelled identifiers and similar minor things which most code editors will detect or prevent realtime.

I know there are a bunch of free online code editors, for many languages, though most likely not for Dealer specific terms.

Do you use an editor you can recommend?

TIA

Jorn

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-June-17, 05:51

Sublime text

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-17, 06:11

Good question.

So far I just wrote the scripts directly in the browser window and saved them in notepad once finished and run. Balancing parentheses and figuring out syntax errors is good exercise for the brain :) But yes, an intelligent editor would make things easier.

#4 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2021-June-17, 06:47

I use notepad++
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-June-17, 08:57

Depends on what I'm writing, but usually either vim or pycharm (with vim emulation). pycharm (or any of the JetBrains IDEs) has RainbowBrackets, which really help. Vim has a key to "go to matching brace" and will highlight it if on screen.

I use notepad++ to *read* text, but the amount of configuration needed to get it not to do things wrong, and the number of computers I use it on (and don't control) mean that I avoid writing with it if possible. (plus, it doesn't have vim emulation that I've found, but even then, even more configuration).

Please note I don't *recommend* vim - it's got a learning curve, and it's *very* unhelpful * while you're learning. But if you have learned it in a previous life, it's just so much easier to use than mousing around everywhere.

* "VI has two modes - beep mode and destroy mode. You start in beep mode, where every key you press beeps at you and does nothing; until you press one of the special keys, which puts you into destroy mode and you destroy the document. Your first task, should you choose to accept it, is to try to figure out how to get out of VI."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   J Lodahl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-June-17, 13:10

thanks for your replies!

Rainbow parentheses are cool! I see rainbow brackets as packages for several editors. I will investigate

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users