Posted 2021-May-21, 16:10

How can I adjust a score that has been timed out and can I adjust once posted
Thanks for any help
Decone

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-May-22, 00:58

You can adjust a score in the 20 minutes following a tournament. After that, you cannot adjust within BBO.

My club has a seven-day correction period (a relic of hand scoring). If we have to make an adjustment in the days following a tournament, then we read the results into a scoring program and make the adjustment there.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-May-22, 14:09

Unfortunately the adjustment mechanisms are rather primitive and 20 minutes is sometimes insufficient.
It would be easy to fix at least the latter.

#4 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-June-08, 12:08

View Postpescetom, on 2021-May-22, 14:09, said:

Unfortunately the adjustment mechanisms are rather primitive and 20 minutes is sometimes insufficient.
It would be easy to fix at least the latter.

With instant hand records, if you cannot find the problem within 10 minutes of the end of the game, I think you're not looking hard enough. TDs stay online for the 20 minutes after the game even though if someone reports a problem in minute 19 it will be 50-50 whether you can look up, decide, and adjust in time. Usually everyone is gone by 10 minutes after. We don't need that dead time extended. 20 is more than sufficient online. More possibilities for adjusting (weighted scores, different scores for each side, etc.) are on every experienced online TD's wishlist.
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-June-08, 12:35

View PostMcBruce, on 2021-June-08, 12:08, said:

With instant hand records, if you cannot find the problem within 10 minutes of the end of the game, I think you're not looking hard enough. TDs stay online for the 20 minutes after the game even though if someone reports a problem in minute 19 it will be 50-50 whether you can look up, decide, and adjust in time. Usually everyone is gone by 10 minutes after. We don't need that dead time extended. 20 is more than sufficient online.

Speak for yourself without making arbitrary judgements, please. I have frequently run out of time to resolve multiple hands in 20 minutes and it's not because I was not looking hard enough. It depends on a series of factors including how large your tournament is, how well (or badly) BBO is working that day, how slow your slowest players are and whether or not you use clocked, how conscientious you are and whether or not you sometimes poll. 30 minutes would probably have been enough even on the worst occasions.

View PostMcBruce, on 2021-June-08, 12:08, said:

More possibilities for adjusting (weighted scores, different scores for each side, etc.) are on every experienced online TD's wishlist.

Fully agree with you here and would add penalties.

#6 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-June-08, 12:49

View Postpescetom, on 2021-June-08, 12:35, said:

Speak for yourself without making arbitrary judgements, please. I have frequently run out of time in 20 minutes and it's not because I was not looking hard enough. It depends partly on how large your tournament is, how well (or badly) BBO is working that day and whether or not you use clocked.

Not sure what we're referring to here. Sure, if there are multiple claims it is possible to run out of time as a TD trying to investigate them all, but that's pretty rare: in almost 500 Virtual Games I have not had it happen once. What I was trying to say was that as a player, 20 minutes to check your results, when the hand record for each board is available in the History tab as it finishes, is far more time to discover problems than the offline standard of 30 minutes when you need to get your results from the wall, fetch hand records, and go over them one by one at the end of the game.

As a TD, virtually all of the notifications of a wrong or disputed score I get are before the game ends, and there is ample time to check the claims of the person reporting the problem. Most of the very few post-game adjustments I have made or denied are based on last-round boards or claims of something fishy, and as long as I hear about them within the first 15 minutes of the 20, there's usually enough time to settle them as well as BBO allows.
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#7 User is offline   vebu210028 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-June-08, 14:14

Adding time to last round will get rid of last round time-out scores.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-June-08, 16:31

View PostMcBruce, on 2021-June-08, 12:49, said:

Not sure what we're referring to here. Sure, if there are multiple claims it is possible to run out of time as a TD trying to investigate them all, but that's pretty rare: in almost 500 Virtual Games I have not had it happen once. What I was trying to say was that as a player, 20 minutes to check your results, when the hand record for each board is available in the History tab as it finishes, is far more time to discover problems than the offline standard of 30 minutes when you need to get your results from the wall, fetch hand records, and go over them one by one at the end of the game.

As a TD, virtually all of the notifications of a wrong or disputed score I get are before the game ends, and there is ample time to check the claims of the person reporting the problem. Most of the very few post-game adjustments I have made or denied are based on last-round boards or claims of something fishy, and as long as I hear about them within the first 15 minutes of the 20, there's usually enough time to settle them as well as BBO allows.

So I partly misunderstood, sorry. I was referring to TD running out of time to investigate multiple claims. Happened to me many times.
I agree that as a player there is no real issue and that virtually all notifications reach the TD before the game ends (whether he manages to deal with them before the end is less certain).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users