BBO Discussion Forums: MPs, sometimes the dull little boards matter - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MPs, sometimes the dull little boards matter

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-June-08, 03:42

Assess your contract. please say if you'd have done something different in the auction, I considered doubling 1N.

W leads 4 (lowest from 3 whether an honour held or not, 4ths, top of doubleton), E plays the J plan the play.

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-08, 04:07

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-June-08, 04:14

David, I agree with a large part of your analysis, but you missed something which is the layout that actually occurred at the table. My partner played as you did.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-June-08, 08:49

CyberYeti 'Assess your contract. please say if you'd have done something different in the auction, I considered doubling 1N. W leads 4 (lowest from 3 whether an honour held or not, 4ths, top of doubleton), E plays the J plan the play.'
+++++++++++++++++++
Contract OK. I guess: win A, A. Exit in s.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-June-08, 09:06

When you win the A the J drops on it.

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-June-08, 09:11

As long as RHO holds 4 clubs it can't hurt to guard against a 4-1 trump break by winning trick one, playing a diamond to the ace, then cashing the 4 clubs. After all, if LHO has 3 clubs and did not bid a major it looks like he is most likely 3343.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-June-08, 09:21

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-June-08, 09:11, said:

As long as RHO holds 4 clubs it can't hurt to guard against a 4-1 trump break by winning trick one, playing a diamond to the ace, then cashing the 4 clubs. After all, if LHO has 3 clubs and did not bid a major it looks like he is most likely 3343.

Right answer for the wrong reason. It looks the most natural thing in the world to duck the first diamond, in fact it costs you the overtrick. As David surmised, the doubler is 4432 but his 3 diamonds are KQJ, so when you play a diamond to the ace you now rumble 3 clubs, he ruffs with the Q, cashes spades, clears hearts and you lead the 4th club and get a second discard for the overtrick.

+90 was worth 1/3 of the matchpoints, +110 would be 3/4 of them

#8 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-08, 09:36

Ah, I miscounted the tricks on the distribution I expected. If the third club is ruffed I'm a tempo behind, losing two diamonds, two spades and the heart.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-June-08, 09:57

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-June-08, 09:36, said:

Ah, I miscounted the tricks on the distribution I expected. If the third club is ruffed I'm a tempo behind, losing two diamonds, two spades and the heart.

It looks so natural to duck the first diamond, in fact it's fatal on this particular layout, not sure I wouldn't have done it as well, playing the NT bidder for xx is hard

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-June-08, 11:02

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-June-08, 09:21, said:

Right answer for the wrong reason. It looks the most natural thing in the world to duck the first diamond, in fact it costs you the overtrick. As David surmised, the doubler is 4432 but his 3 diamonds are KQJ, so when you play a diamond to the ace you now rumble 3 clubs, he ruffs with the Q, cashes spades, clears hearts and you lead the 4th club and get a second discard for the overtrick.

+90 was worth 1/3 of the matchpoints, +110 would be 3/4 of them

Duh. I don't know what there is about me and an iPhone but I tend to lose the bidding when I use it to answer. I was responding thinking RHO had made a takeout double of 1D, not 1C.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users