• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you do here?

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-May-23, 09:54

MPs. 1NT is weak, X is penalty, 2 is a transfer to hearts. I don't play weak twos in diamonds with this partner and am not sure about opening 3 first seat vulnerable with a six card suit. What do you do now?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-23, 10:37

I'm a simple guy. I bid 3. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-May-23, 10:38

AL78 'MPs. 1NT is weak, X is penalty, 2 is a transfer to hearts. I don't play weak twos in diamonds with this partner and am not sure about opening 3 first seat vulnerable with a six card suit. What do you do now?
++++++++++++++++++++++
2 is artificial, so Double shows . When partner penalty doubles 2, I have a harder decision but I'd guess to pass
'

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-May-23, 15:02

I could double but I think 3D is a better choice to show the playing strength
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-23, 15:06

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-May-23, 15:02, said:

I could double but I think 3D is a better choice to show the playing strength

I think X then 3 on the next round shows the playing strength and 9-10 cards in the minors, but not necessarily the balance of the suits.

#6 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-May-23, 16:17

I decided to bid 3, I didn't think double did the suit justice. I'm glad to see I'm in reasonable company. It went badly wrong because my partner made an inexplicable 3 bid which I passed, thinking she had doubled on a solid single suiter. It turns out punting 3NT would have worked out well.

3-1 was worth 12%. Amazingly, the cards lie so favourably that 6 makes, five honors onside, not sure I've seen such a favourable layout before. Playing in 3 would get us an average minus, letting them rot in hearts for several down is the winning action.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-May-23, 17:09

View PostAL78, on 2021-May-23, 16:17, said:

I decided to bid 3, I didn't think double did the suit justice. I'm glad to see I'm in reasonable company. It went badly wrong because my partner made an inexplicable 3 bid which I passed, thinking she had doubled on a solid single suiter. It turns out punting 3NT would have worked out well.

3-1 was worth 12%. Amazingly, the cards lie so favourably that 6 makes, five honors onside, not sure I've seen such a favourable layout before. Playing in 3 would get us an average minus, letting them rot in hearts for several down is the winning action.

Is 1N-x-2-X-2-X too much fantasy ? will play OK in 3m if you remove, but will net a fortune if you stand it

#8 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-May-24, 11:32

It all depends upon what is the strongest bid. This, imo, is not good enough to want to be in game if partner is at a min for what they've shown so far. Additionally, partner may not be balanced. That being said, I'm getting to 3d somehow, it just is a matter of how. You can bid 3d immediately, or you can double then bid 3d. I'd do whatever is the weaker of the two means, and that is going to depend upon your agreements with your partner. With no agreements, I would assume that the slow way was stronger, so I'd bid 3d.

Btw, 3d should not be broke, but encouraging partner to bid more. If you are broke, no matter how much you might want to, you should pass and see how things develop.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users