Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lol Lol Lol!

#1 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-22, 13:46

watching some bridge today. peter fridin team vs. david gold team. it proves that even world-class players can go so really wrong. if you watch like me please do not spoil.

q1.guess the final contract? q2.guess the auction? I will post board auction later. how would you bid this board?

I should have posted it in 'expert' forum but it is instructional for other players also.

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-22, 13:54

(1D)-1S-(3c)-4h-(x)-ap

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-22, 14:28

So many possibilities!
1. 1 - 2 - pass - pass - pass - my favourite
2. 1 - DBL- 1NT - 3 - pass - 4 - pass - pass - pass. Hopefully what would happen with my partner.
3. 1 - 2 - 1NT - 4 - pass - pass - pass. What the "experts in my club" seem to do.
4. 1 - 2 - pass - 4 - pass - 7 - pass - pass - pass. What happens in a Goulash tourney.
5. 1 - 2 - 1NT - 4 - pass - (insert slam bidding conventions) - - - 6 or 7 -pass - pass - pass. If I was an expert - or a Fiddler on the Roof.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-22, 15:42

6x= on A lead ?

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-22, 16:06

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-March-22, 15:42, said:

6x= on A lead ?

Indeed, but they have to get to 6.
If S interferes 2 Michaels then I don't see it as likely.
If W keeps quiet we might even bid the grand:

2-3
4-4
4-4N
5-5
6-7
p

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-March-23, 05:14

LBengtsson 'watching some bridge today. peter fridin team vs. david gold team. it proves that even world-class players can go so really wrong. if you watch like me please do not spoil. q1.guess the final contract? q2.guess the auction? I will post board auction later. how would you bid this board? I should have posted it in 'expert' forum but it is instructional for other players also.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Ruling out humdrum contracts like 7= and 7X-4 by West by North; we are left with bizarre misunderstandings like the 4XX-5 by North suggestion, above.
My guess, however, is 7X-12 by West (bid as a sacrifice against 7)

#7 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-23, 05:24

some reply so now guess north's next bid, and then guess what happen next

#8 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-24, 14:17

more lol! I have just seen the contract in the closed room. this board is seriously crazy! this is what happened in the open room

3 bid: clever, too clever, or crazy? I liked it. the bidding is never going to end, right? however, at the other table, more crazy, the bidding went.

what happened at each table? case of aquavit if you guess right. lol. :lol:

#9 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-March-25, 13:04

Well, one of the reasons I play modified Ghestem (3 shows the highest and lowest unbid suits not the majors) is that if partner forgets there is a 50/50 chance that we will be in our best fit...

#10 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-25, 16:02

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-March-25, 13:04, said:

Well, one of the reasons I play modified Ghestem (3 shows the highest and lowest unbid suits not the majors) is that if partner forgets there is a 50/50 chance that we will be in our best fit...

the auction in the closed room ended after 3! partners not understanding each other, forgets their convention. 3-5

however, what happened in the open room after

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-March-25, 16:18

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-March-25, 13:04, said:

Sounds like a rather comfortable agreement to me. Does partner sometimes forget and if so do you explain that?

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-March-26, 10:27

And if it's frequent enough that you feel you would have to mention it, is 1x-3 "top and bottom, or clubs" a legal agreement where you play?

Note, I'm not Bobby Wolff (I can understand his frustration, but "my opinion overrides the Laws" is a dangerous road to go down), nor am I David Burn (although I agree that this G-word is as "shouldn't be played" as the other G-word), nor do I believe "the opponents made a mistake, we get a good score"; but playing an easily-forgotten convention the way that minimises forget damage, explicitly for that benefit, feels a little uncomfortable, especially when it's a defensive convention.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-26, 14:12

this is how it continued. what happened next? clue: only two more bids in this auction.

#14 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-28, 08:19

this was the final auction. I feel north/south bid very bad - they should be in slam - but the north/south team gained 18 IMPs as in the closed room the final contract was 3-5 after misunderstanding.

after the board finished in the open room, when 5X+2 was recorded, the east/west pair had a discussion about whether east's pass of 5 was a 'forcing pass'.

I thought north's 3 bid clever, but 4 seemed better. depends how auction go, south cues void and north/south can not miss 6. 7 might be possible? how would you bid this hand now that you have seen the result?

#15 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-28, 11:04

View Postmycroft, on 2021-March-26, 10:27, said:

And if it's frequent enough that you feel you would have to mention it, is 1x-3 "top and bottom, or clubs" a legal agreement where you play?

Note, I'm not Bobby Wolff (I can understand his frustration, but "my opinion overrides the Laws" is a dangerous road to go down), nor am I David Burn (although I agree that this G-word is as "shouldn't be played" as the other G-word), nor do I believe "the opponents made a mistake, we get a good score"; but playing an easily-forgotten convention the way that minimises forget damage, explicitly for that benefit, feels a little uncomfortable, especially when it's a defensive convention.

I think maybe you missed the intended humour in my guess about the auction the previous reply. Of course we do, this modified Ghestem is on our card and alerted . A cue bid is highest two unbid suits (so the same as Michaels when a minor is opened), 2NT is the lowest two (so the same as the unusual no-trump), 3 is the extremes.

It is never an either/or bid, and in this sequence it promises Clubs as one of the two suits. It lacks a club suit only in the case of (1) - 3. And if partner passes that, he's asleep. Posted Image

This method gives up the natural 3 bid, but gains over Michaels in that you can show Spade - (unbid minor) two suiters over a minor, and that partner knows which minor you have when you cue Ghestem over oppo's major.

And no, neither of us has forgotten the 3 bid Yet...

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-March-28, 13:58

If you haven't read David Burn's column on this convention, you should.

I'm glad you haven't forgotten it - yet. But most do, and when they do, it's "3 with a club preempt". That's why it's an "either/or" bid, it's "spades and clubs, or just clubs if partner forgot again".

My point is that "forget Ghestem" is less likely to damage the forgetters than, say, forget Kickback or XYZ-2
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#17 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-28, 14:45

Hi Mycroft, no offence taken. The David Burn link didn't work, but I think it must be this article Conventions you don't need to know (blakjak.org) .

Simple is good. I play 30/41 and one day hope to respond to RKCB without using my fingers at all.

It comes down to your view on whether showing the spade-minor two suiters against a minor and the increased accuracy over (1M) is worth the trade-off of losing a 3C overcall and risking a memory lapse. I have played it in three regular partnerships over 15 years without accident. But in one-off games I play Michaels.

Just seen various sites that call this method Questem, so that's something else I've learned.

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-28, 14:46

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-March-22, 15:42, said:

6x= on A lead ?

It appears this didn't happen, but I wonder how many people would be careful enough to make this. I believe you have to ruff with the 9 or 10, lead the other one to the K or Q, ruff your second heart with the A then lead the 7 to your 8 to get back to hand to draw trumps without S being able to ruff a diamond.

#19 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-28, 18:52

No idea really but would bid 2D and hope to be in at least game. Slam looks too complicated for me

EDIT but is 2D too weak. Is there a jump cue or something stronger

Edit 2 after researching Michaels I can use it with a strong hand but some people may misunderstand it seemingly

Is there a highly unexpected 2nt variant

The correct response to Michael's would seem to be 3D:)

#20 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-March-28, 20:52

Argh, missed a quote. That it is exactly.

Apologies for that, and for reading too seriously in my response.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users