Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to play the clubs

#1 User is offline   tchavdarov 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-18, 07:06

This is a hand I was dealt in a challenge-a-friend game. I was South. The lead was a small from E, I played 6, W put K and I won with A in hand.
What is the correct line of playing the 's?
I continued with the singleton club from N, which I took with the A in S, then ruffed a club back in hand, planning if the K didn't fall, to draw Q then to cross to the AK in the dummy and to ruff the third club hoping the third K is with the remaining trump. What was the percentage of this line?

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-18, 09:24

better than 50% guess finesse/ruff finesse which as you have two options is then 25% chance. not good for grand slam. I would have played the way you did also.

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-March-18, 09:36

View Posttchavdarov, on 2021-March-18, 07:06, said:

What was the percentage of this line?

First of all, what can you infer from opps' bidding and what happened at trick 1?

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-March-18, 11:33

I would have thought since West showed up with the K, almost every other honor card will be with the overcaller East. It is possible he could have KQJxx Jx Jxx xx but that is a very specific hand type (and why not lead the king). I'd be inclined to take the club finesse rather than play to the ace and try to ruff out the king. The lack of a weak jump overcall suggests East doesn't have that much shape and only a five card suit.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-March-18, 16:28

Tchavdarov 'This is a hand I was dealt in a challenge-a-friend game. I was South. The lead was a small from E, I played 6, W put K and I won with A in hand. What is the correct line of playing the 's? I continued with the singleton club from N, which I took with the A in S, then ruffed a club back in hand, planning if the K didn't fall, to draw Q then to cross to the AK in the dummy and to ruff the third club hoping the third K is with the remaining trump. What was the percentage of this line?'
+++++++++++++++++++
Lacking K, East is likely to hold K for his overcall, so declarer might find the successful line of winning A, finessing Q and (over)ruffing a .

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users