Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding in 2 over 1

#1 User is offline   Laplace0 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-12, 05:23

What means after the sequence 1--1-2 a 3 bid in 2 over 1. How is a 4 color forcing 2 to interpret?

#2 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-12, 05:55

2 is typically artificial and forcing to game. The meaning of 3 depends on the agreement for 1-2, but the normal meaning is that it is natural and invitational to game.

#3 User is offline   Laplace0 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-12, 08:03

Ok with 3. Now 2 ask for stopper, show stopper or asks for 3card support in

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-12, 09:43

2 diamonds shows almost any GF hand on this sequence. So it could be based on just about anything, opener shouldn't assume much until hearing responder's 3rd bid.

Opener typically has a priority based on partnership agreement what to show, typical priority is something like:
1. show spade 3 cd support
2. lacking spade support bid NT with stopper 4th suit (jumping to 3nt shows something like 16-17 unbal/semi-bal, bid 2nt then 4nt with 18+)
3. show extra shape features
4. bid cheapest of original suits (here 2H) with nothing more informative to say

#5 User is offline   Laplace0 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-12, 13:22

Fine. I guess this is Hardy-staff. I will use it in the proposed order until some NT contract is missed :rolleyes: Thanks all for the comments.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-March-12, 16:54

View PostLaplace0, on 2021-March-12, 13:22, said:

Fine. I guess this is Hardy-staff. I will use it in the proposed order until some NT contract is missed :rolleyes: Thanks all for the comments.

It's not Hardy stuff

Hardy was a good tournament director but an indifferent player (at least, in terms of expert players) and his books on 2/1 contained little that was original to him (in fairness, he never claimed otherwise). His first book summarized 'scientific' methods then popular amongst West Coast, primarily Californian, American experts.

As for 4SF, Stephen has summarized the situation well. I would add that it can be useful to think in terms of 'what does 4SF say to me, as opener' to which the answer is:

Based on your bidding and my hand, we have at least game somewhere, and possibly slam. Please make the cheapest descriptive bid you can, following which I will tell you where my interest lies'

Thus:
1H 1S
2C 2D
2H 3C....hey, I love clubs! Let's explore whether we should be in 5C, or 6C or 7C, or 3N, 6N, etc....even 4H is still in the picture

1H 1S
2C 2D
2N 3S....hey, I know you have at most 2 spades and are likely 2=5=2=4 or 1=5=3=4, with a diamond stopper, but I still like my hand for spades...not sure yet where we're going....3N might end the auction, but we're playing spades or notrump, level yet to be determined

And so on.

The part about making the cheapest bid is important, to allow responder as much bidding room, to describe why he is forcing to game or beyond, as low as possible. Requiring a stopper for opener to bid notrump means, here, that 2H, the cheapest call available, might be based on 6=4 hearts/clubs but will often be 5=4.

You need not worry about missing good notrump contracts if, after 2D, neither side can bid notrump along the way (once in a blue moon you miss a 3N with xxx opposite xxx, and they can't run 5 tricks, but it hasn't happened to me in decades)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-12, 18:10

View PostLaplace0, on 2021-March-12, 13:22, said:

The only 4SF auction where this might be a concern is 1H - 1S; 2D - 3C, where you do have to make a choice if opener is something like 1642 with a good club stopper. It's even worse on this auction because opener needs a default bid with something like 2542 and no club stopper, so 3H may not even show 6 - something worth discussing with partner. However, when the fourth suit is at the two-level you should be able to sort out where you belong easily enough.

#8 User is offline   Laplace0 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-13, 11:17

Thanks again. Good analysis showing the importance of 4SF. I used 4SF but with a diverse priority order (first stopper, second 3card support) and missed recently a spade slam. I try now the order you proposed. I think to remember, something similar is described in Hardy's 2over1 book. Don't know which is the originator.

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-13, 14:39

Whether 3card support has higher priority than a stopper is mood if opener has shown 9 cards in hearts and clubs. With 3 spades also it's only an issue with a stiff ace in diamonds.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   Laplace0 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-14, 05:29

Actually, bidding 2 with 3 clubs happens with regularity.

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-14, 16:04

View PostLaplace0, on 2021-March-14, 05:29, said:

Actually, bidding 2 with 3 clubs happens with regularity.

Yeah good point, with xxx-AQxxx-AQ-Kxx you might decide not to open 1NT, so now you have both a diamond stopper and 3-card spade support.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users