Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do you bid this?

#1 User is offline   portia2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-13, 00:18

hi, in a MPs tourney many pairs opened with a gf bid, playing 5 card majors are you happy to bid 1c* (could be short) and having done so, what do you do next? thanks

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-13, 00:26

Yes, I'd open 2 with this. 9.5 playing tricks.

I presume W does not overcall 2? And partner bids some sort of waiting bid? Then 3 seems obvious.

On the auction given I'm bidding 6N, and more worried about missing 7 than not making 6.

#3 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-March-13, 01:56

I assume the hand posted as "North" is actually the South hand which opened the bidding.

I don't mind opening this 2 but having opened 1, I am not bidding 3nt after partners double of 1
The X implies spades but could be 4 to the J

1 (1) X (P)
2 - let's keep partner involved in the auction.

#4 User is offline   portia2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-13, 03:59

View Postjillybean, on 2021-March-13, 01:56, said:

I assume the hand posted as "North" is actually the South hand which opened the bidding.

I don't mind opening this 2 but having opened 1, I am not bidding 3nt after partners double of 1
The X implies spades but could be 4 to the J

1 (1) X (P)
2 - let's keep partner involved in the auction.
I've corrected it to south. thanks jillybean.

#5 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-13, 06:17

I don’t mind opening GF 2-suiters at the 1-level especially when it is unlikely it goes pass pass pass (the S void!).

But here, the disparity between the suits is too high (65 are more problematic than 74) so I’d open 2C followed by 3C. Or 5C if ever the bidding came back at 4S.

Here, I guess the X showed some S (4, 4+?) and a non-trash hand, but I wouldn’t bid 3NT anyway. Partner’s S could be weak, and I feel I’m a bit too strong for that. A club or a king rich.

Now over 4NT, I am not sure I can do sth intelligent to diagnose the useful cards, and the entries to partner’s hand because there is a small risk of being locked in my hand. Put partner with the DQ and S AK, with a small doubleton C. Does partner need sth more to bid? Let’s say LHO has QJxxx H and the DA, a side S goodie, plus the innocent-looking CJ...

It is MPs so let’s blast 6NT, a contract that could be all between hopeless, laydown...or a missed grand.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-March-13, 09:02

I’m a 1C bidder. It’s virtually impossible for it to go all pass.

I’m with JB in that I bid 2H to get the gf going after the double. There’s no rush to bid 3N on this hand. Partner will pass 3N on hands where 6C is a good contract.

Wild horses could not make me bid 6N.

I bid 6C.

The important point is that we have a partner. Partner knows that it’s matchpoints. He can convert to 6N if his hand makes it seem like a good idea, while the fact that we chose 6C sounds a cautionary note. It would be silly to play 6N opposite QJxx Qx AJxx Jxx

Part of my problem is that I have no idea what his hand looks like, if only because I’ve bid in such a way that he likely has no idea what mine looks like. 3N shouldn’t usually deliver a void somewhere.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-March-13, 10:20

Happy: Yes

Next: 7 (and get a very good score on average; 3N was such a huge underbid)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users