• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

defence cock-up (IMPs) in the interest of balance

#1 User is online   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-March-13, 07:30

In the interest of not looking like I am deliberately posting hands where my partner made a mistake, here is one where I just didn't think at trick 2. Cross-IMPS.

South
AJ9832
Q87

2 was the Multi.

Partner leads the 7. Dummy comes down with:

AK2
K54
T63
A94

Declarer plays the 6. What do you do after winning with the ace?

You would likely deduce the heart is a certain singleton and return one for partner to ruff, who would then cash two top diamonds taking the contract down. I had the fact she bid diamonds at the three level stuck in my mind, thinking if declarer held the king I need to lead through it now or never, and returned a diamond without thinking, blowing the defence.

I must make a plan before playing to trick 2.

Not as bad as it could have been (only four tables, and one pair went three off in 2, no-one else bidding game EW), but still, if it is an evening where we have to defend 15 out of 21 boards, I really need to do better than this.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-13, 08:08

Which is why declarer should play the 10 under the ace, leaving the possibility that partner has a doubleton.

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-13, 11:25

your fault, partner fault also. she should lead A, see your card before leading stiff at trick two or three. leading trick one says that she do not have AK, maybe AQ. defense takes two to tango. declarer can false card trick on lead and you do not if partner has x or xx as cyberyeti says.

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-13, 14:09

Where I live, it is almost standard when having AK and a side singleton to lead K then switch. Like this, partner could have made you impossible to go wrong...

#5 User is online   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-13, 15:17

apollo1201, on 2021-March-13, 14:09, said:

Where I live, it is almost standard when having AK and a side singleton to lead K then switch. Like this, partner could have made you impossible to go wrong...

That may be true, but I still should have thought about it more instead of playing too quickly. I know that in some cases, it is possible to guide partner to the correct action, but that is no substitute for working things out.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-14, 15:25

AL78, on 2021-March-13, 15:17, said:

That may be true, but I still should have thought about it more instead of playing too quickly. I know that in some cases, it is possible to guide partner to the correct action, but that is no substitute for working things out.

I agree with the others, partner had a clear bid of either A or K according to agreements.
So you're still deliberately posting hands where partner made a mistake :)

#7 User is online   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-14, 17:07

pescetom, on 2021-March-14, 15:25, said:

I agree with the others, partner had a clear bid of either A or K according to agreements.
So you're still deliberately posting hands where partner made a mistake :)

As a result of the surprising responses, I am going to discuss this situation with her because we don't (as far as I know) have any agreement that leading an ace or king from an AK combination then switching says "give me a ruff". With a different (my more regular) partner, I once did lead an ace then switched to a singleton, which she won, then didn't return the suit. Her reasoning was if it was a singleton, I would have led it at trick one.

#8 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-14, 18:10

AL78, on 2021-March-14, 17:07, said:

.. that leading an ace or king from an AK combination then switching says "give me a ruff"..

I wouldn't say that at all; it's more the reverse implication - leading something else almost always denies having an AK, since that's the #1 choice of lead in almost all situations.

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-16, 01:04

AL78, on 2021-March-14, 17:07, said:

As a result of the surprising responses, I am going to discuss this situation with her because we don't (as far as I know) have any agreement that leading an ace or king from an AK combination then switching says "give me a ruff". With a different (my more regular) partner, I once did lead an ace then switched to a singleton, which she won, then didn't return the suit. Her reasoning was if it was a singleton, I would have led it at trick one.

While it can be quite common to switch after leading an A from AK (see dummy, partner’s signal or count...), imagining that the switch is a sg is impossible.
However, leading K then switching is a clearer signal (unless the switch can be legitimately linked to other reasons, sg in dummy, partner thinking a Bath Coup is around...). In that case, it is less legible that you have a sg.

#10 User is online   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-16, 04:07

apollo1201, on 2021-March-16, 01:04, said:

While it can be quite common to switch after leading an A from AK (see dummy, partner’s signal or count...), imagining that the switch is a sg is impossible.
However, leading K then switching is a clearer signal (unless the switch can be legitimately linked to other reasons, sg in dummy, partner thinking a Bath Coup is around...). In that case, it is less legible that you have a sg.

Thanks, smerriman explained it clearly, leading A or K strongly implies holding touching honors (and vice versa), so if partner leads an ace followed by a likely singleton, it is easier to decide to give a ruff.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users