Can you lay the blame anywhere?

#21 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-February-26, 19:47

We had 2 goes at this;

2nd time around, with a more squirming and signals than is usually tolerated at the table, I bid 4/3nt and got a cue.
If I don't mastermind, is this an unrealistic slam to bid?

#22 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-26, 20:00

What is 3N? If it's not some sort of Serious 3NT partner has a major lack of ambition.

#23 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-February-26, 20:30

3N seems a tad pessimistic to me. Partner is presumably 4=5=3=1 or, rarely, 4=6=3=0. Partner should have extras for this sequence. I should note that not everyone would agree with this, but this sort of sequence is precisely why 2H over 2D does not deny spades...if opener raises 2S by responder, over 2H, he has a minimum.

One of the subtle difficulties with 2/1 gf auctions is that it is still important to try to differentiate between different hand strengths. For me, 2S promises some extras...say a king more than a minimum. Then I add pulling 2N to 3D and partner absolutely has to bid 3S.

3N would be ok on say xx xx KJxxx AKQx.

Here, while responder should be careful not to get too attached to possible holdings for opener, KJxx AKJxx Axx x is a completely ‘normal’ hand for the auction.

Responder should also understand that opener, with a less suitable hand but still extras, can slow down over 3S by bidding 3N. 3S is not a slam force!

As it is, hearing 3S, opener knows that responder has some mild, or stronger, interest. Opener knows there are NO major suit losers, and obviously no defender is cashing any clubs right away.

So opener can drive to slam here.

If my partner bid 2N then 3N, I’m passing...reluctantly but why contract for 11 tricks when partner shows 2-3 club stoppers and neither a spade Ace nor great diamonds?

But this is a great learning hand for the partnership, since bidding this intelligently involves lots of style issues

1. 2D shows 5+
2. 2S shows modest extras (or more)
3. 2N is a waiting bid, with no major fit and a reasonable club holding
4. 4D is patterning out, usually 4=5=3=1, but with the aforesaid extras
5. 3S shows the spade ace and says, in essence: hey, if you’re interested in slam, my hand’s not bad...responder could of course have an even better hand, but for now we are looking at the minimum that 3S says
6. Opener can slow the auction down over 3S (not with this hand) by bidding 3N. Say he held KQJx AKxxx Qxx x. Now he bids 3N and responder knows that the club Ace is a huge card and bids 4C. Now the decent slam is reached easily.

Note how both partners played a role in the auction, with neither taking over, or making final decisions, until after the partnership has reached 4C (on the 4=5=3=1 example)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#24 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-February-27, 13:22

1. 2D shows 5+. Yes
2. 2S shows modest extras (or more) Yes, a "King more than minimum"
3. 2N is a waiting bid, with no major fit and a reasonable club holding. Yes, option to play in nt and often protecting a holding if we do end up in nt
4. 3D is patterning out, usually 4=5=3=1, but with the aforesaid extras. Yes, if I hadn't been masterminding
5. 3S shows the spade ace Yes, forward going

The partnership question is a tricky one, and a common challenge for newer players trying to find a keen, capable partner who wants to play competitively and put the work in.
I now have a new challenge of potentially living in different hemispheres for part of the year, so I need to find 2 keen, capable partners.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users