BBO Discussion Forums: Does it make senseto play bridge like that? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does it make senseto play bridge like that? Just one example of robot as declarer

#1 User is offline   jardaholy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-19, 16:29

There are daylong boards, you really asked yourselves “Does it make sense to play bridge like that?”.

The bidding was fairly normal and so was also the first lead, HQ. The declarer took it with the ace and played small spade to the ten, holding the trick,continuing with small club from the hand and finessing the queen. How would you continue?

Since I was the lucky possessor of the queen, I had to decide, whether to cash ace of diamond immediately or to play small diamond making the robot to carry out its thousands of simulations and guess the position in diamonds, if necessary. However, there may be no need of guess and even if it is, the robots are, in my experience, very successful in that (may be more, one would expect looking at the odds). So, I finally cashed diamond ace and played ten, which took the trick, the declarer following the diamond suit with 3 and 8, my partner with 6 and 9. What now?

There was no clear indication of the distribution of the diamonds around the table, but I was sure, that the only continuation making sense are diamonds. So, I played the last diamond and the board was over.

There was small flesh of idea inmy mind that the very first lead could be singleton, but I could not imagine how the declarer with complete six tricks in spades, four tricks in hearts and two tricks in clubs, i.e. enough tricks for small slam, could risk being limited to nine tricks, if the finesse did not work.

It could be nice story about cruel punishment of a real beginner just understanding the principle of finesse and finessing everything everywhere, but it is absolute mystery for me, how advanced computer program can play such a way. At least, there is no problem to run the trumps before the finesse, if the robot finds some justification for making it.

So, I missed giving ruff to my partner, finishing the board with nice 50% result.

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-February-20, 00:00

What kind of daylong tournament was this? Zenith Daylong Reward (MP) maybe?

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-20, 04:12

It was already clear from the initial pass that West was having a bad day.

#4 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-February-20, 04:22

View Postpescetom, on 2021-February-20, 04:12, said:

It was already clear from the initial pass that West was having a bad day.

I think the robots do not open a weak two with 4 cards in the other major?

#5 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-20, 04:42

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-February-20, 04:22, said:

I think the robots do not open a weak two with 4 cards in the other major?

Fair enough, if that is so.

#6 User is offline   jardaholy 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-February-20, 06:26

View Postnullve, on 2021-February-20, 00:00, said:

What kind of daylong tournament was this? Zenith Daylong Reward (MP) maybe?

Yes, it was Zenith MP.

#7 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-20, 07:05

View Postjardaholy, on 2021-February-20, 06:26, said:

Yes, it was Zenith MP.

Then West was an advanced robot.

Can you post the Handviewer link here? I want to replay the hand against basic robots, but then i need to know exactly how the play went at your table.

#8 User is offline   jardaholy 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-February-20, 07:45

View Postpescetom, on 2021-February-20, 04:42, said:

Fair enough, if that is so.

Well, that reminds me one real board from my colletion "One hundred boards with robots", played in IMP daylong 26.10.2020.
My hand was:

I am a conservative bidder so that I decided to pass for several reasons. The first one was that I do did have spade suit so that my opponents could find spade partscore contract leading to good result for them and bad for me. The second reason was that I had opened several 11 HPC boards recently and my partner had pushed me to 2NT contract, or, in one case, even 3NT contract with bad result for me. The true was, I had had bad experience with passing 11HPC daylong MP hands, because it had usually led to 30% result, which is pretty bad, if you need at least 60% to score some reasonable number of BBO points (more than 0,01 point or something like that), but this was IMP board so that I did not expect big loss and would have been surprised with a loss bigger than, let us say, 2 IMPs.

So, I passed and could see that my decision was badly wrong, because the complete board was:

All players, who opened the bidding, bid and made 4 spades. It should be pointed out that not only my partner, but also west passed the hand, which would definitely qualify for preventive opening.

#9 User is offline   jardaholy 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-February-20, 16:36

View Postnullve, on 2021-February-20, 07:05, said:

Then West was an advanced robot.

Can you post the Handviewer link here? I want to replay the hand against basic robots, but then i need to know exactly how the play went at your table.

https://www.bridgeba...S4%7Cpc%7CDJ%7C

#10 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-20, 19:26

View Postjardaholy, on 2021-February-20, 16:36, said:

Thanks.

Replaying the deal at a teaching table with three basic robots:

So after an identical start, West plays a different card at trick 3.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users