BBO Discussion Forums: Error in player timings shown in table history - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Error in player timings shown in table history

#1 User is offline   peterb001 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-February-14, 14:35

Thank you for adding the summary timings for each board and round in the table history. Unfortunately there is an error in your logic. The first person to bid on round 2 (and subsequent rounds) is timed not from the start of the round, but from the end of the previous board at that table. When you are next in this area of code, could you fix this please.
Many thanks.

#2 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-03, 14:08

Glad someone looked closely and figured it out. I can confirm that this is the problem after looking at a few tables following a five-minute extended round. The dealer on the first board always is charged for the extra time stretching back into the previous round. The logic should be time since last action OR start of round, whichever is smaller. Other than that, the feature is valuable and often allows TDs to shoot down people with very itchy pause triggers who tell you that a BIT was at least five minutes when it turns out to be 17 seconds...
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-03, 15:47

View PostMcBruce, on 2021-March-03, 14:08, said:

Other than that, the feature is valuable and often allows TDs to shoot down people with very itchy pause triggers who tell you that a BIT was at least five minutes when it turns out to be 17 seconds...

I agree, and hope the feature will be made available to all TDs without distinction.
But are you sure there is any real difference between 17s and 5m, except to an unethical partner?

#4 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-03, 17:55

And make available for free tourneys too!

#5 User is offline   Keene_JP 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-10, 14:45

View PostMcBruce, on 2021-March-03, 14:08, said:

Glad someone looked closely and figured it out. I can confirm that this is the problem after looking at a few tables following a five-minute extended round. The dealer on the first board always is charged for the extra time stretching back into the previous round. The logic should be time since last action OR start of round, whichever is smaller. Other than that, the feature is valuable and often allows TDs to shoot down people with very itchy pause triggers who tell you that a BIT was at least five minutes when it turns out to be 17 seconds...

SO -- to summarize:
For all boards in the 1st round and for boards not 1st in that round for subsequent rounds, the total playing times times shown in Table History ARE correct.
For the 1st board of each round after the 1st, the times are wrong -- but only for the dealer.

Could someone please reply here when this has been fixed ?
Thanks.

-=-=

#6 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-10, 21:06

The error mentioned in the original post may not be the only error involved here, but I haven’t looked closely enough to check. I do look through all of a player’s actions compare to the timestamp of the previous action when considering adding a judgment that one side is at fault for the delay, and I distrust the totals. Often a hand that took 8 minutes to play will have a total of over 11 minutes in the summary lines. I think perhaps a second problem may be that if it is South’s turn and East asks North to explain his 2NT call, time ticks on both South and North simultaneously. The software should - perhaps as an option - follow the Laws and restrict players to asking questions when it is their turn, because some players ask about silly obvious things in order to confuse.
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#7 User is offline   pdfprime 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-18, 08:33

I have done some analysis with the time stamped table data.

My first pass was to add up the times assigned by BBO to the players. This resulted in average player time equal to 1/4 of the total time of the session. That made no sense since that would mean there was no delay for anyone. We tend to play Howells with 2 bds/round and pair 1 (1NS which is stationary) was always slower than everyone else. Well, they bid first every single round. And if they are actually fast players, they will get dinged for the time they sat around for *finishing early*.

The first post above is about the same time I saw the error.

There is a quick on-the-spot fix for TDs looking at total time.

If a round ended and there is a board adjust and some side is claiming slow play....

If the summed times for all 4 players (must quickly assess yourself) is more than the round time, the excess has been attributed to the opening bidder of the round.

Example round summary:

North Nate 6:00 South Stu 5:00
East Ed 4:00 West Wally 2:00

and this was a 14 minute round. A total of 17:00 minutes shows. Ludicrous! The opening bidder of the round was charged with 3 minutes of time that they should not have been. If it was Nate or Stu, things don't look so bad. 8 minutes vs 6 minutes.

If it was Ed, then Nate and Stu are problematic. 11 minutes vs 3 minutes

Also note that declarer has more actions when deciding on slow-play, but this example is a quick way to check what is going on.

If the round does not time out, once again you can sum the BBO calculated times listed and then look at the time stamps for sitting for the 1st board and resulting the last board. Any excess in the BBO calcs was assigned to the opening bidder of the first board.

peace,

fritz

edit: I am not sure how it counts time for requested explanations and TD calls. I do have a method for calculating time/action. And it has been very consistent by player across many sessions.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users