• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too many with no cc acbl

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-November-23, 14:07

Having a problem with EXPERTS playing with no convention card

Playing BBO speedball 50% of opponents have no card and too many of those are so called EXPERTS

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-23, 21:37

View Postdickiegera, on 2020-November-23, 14:07, said:

Having a problem with EXPERTS playing with no convention card

Playing BBO speedball 50% of opponents have no card and too many of those are so called EXPERTS

As you know from reading this forum, anybody can rate themselves as Expert. And being an expert doesn't necessarily correlate with following the conditions of contest when it comes to convention cards.

#3 User is offline   tennhill 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-November-24, 11:45

I have had difficulty setting cc in tournaments. I feel it could be more user friendly. what you others think?

#4 User is offline   rdjgolfer 

• Pip

Posted 2020-November-24, 13:07

And they don't alert or explain bids. I proposed a sliding penalty starting with a full board penalty for Experts scaling down to a warning for beginners.

#5 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-24, 19:14

expert: [noun] A person who can look at a rumpled bed and tell whether it was for love or money.

#6 User is offline   dave1hall 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-February-06, 13:38

View Postjohnu, on 2020-November-23, 21:37, said:

As you know from reading this forum, anybody can rate themselves as Expert. And being an expert doesn't necessarily correlate with following the conditions of contest when it comes to convention cards.

Can we agree that players with over 1000 BBO points and over 1000 logins can be "considered" experts.
These players know the rules, just refuse to comply.
Recent examples of players with over 1000 BBO points:
no card posted
blank card posted
SAYC card posted - but bids & carding a completely different system
No alerts, do not answer any questioned bids, no explanations.

Speedball does allow sufficient time for opponents to address these players. Maybe the BBO system can develop a cure.

I quickly post a "canned" inquiry to table chat when the opponents do not have a card. "System & carding please" They may be a pickup pair & avoids someone being offended by a director call.
You can always notify the director when you are dummy later in the game that these opponents do not have a card.

About 75% respond in a reasonable manner; 2/1 UDCA, SAYC, 2/1 O/E Std, etc. A chat reply of "TY" ends the problem. Very little time lost.

If no response, then I do call the director with another "canned" reason for the call: "requested sys & carding - no answer no card" Note that this needs to be done before you become dummy.
One director thought I was dummy by the time he or she arrived at the table and refused my director request.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-February-17, 09:13

View Postdave1hall, on 2021-February-06, 13:38, said:

Can we agree that players with over 1000 BBO points and over 1000 logins can be "considered" experts.

I've been playing over 30 years, I have over 6000 BBO points and 16000 logins, but still don't consider myself an expert.

I also don't have any conventions in my profile. But I mostly play with regular partners and I have a CC posted.

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-17, 09:51

K/S,Keri,FJS,1NT O/C T/O,UDCA&SP,3014.

Why yes, I also have a card posted, and am very careful with explanations. Why do you ask?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users