BBO Discussion Forums: Same tournament same system - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Same tournament same system Did the robots break the law?

Poll: Should the same robots play the same set of hands? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

When playing a set of hands should the same robots be sitting against you?

1. Yes (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. On Wednesdays (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Only if you aren't using prohibited substances (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-05, 03:59

Unlike some, I get so much value from playing with the robots I signed up for Prime. I'm also fond of the 8-board daylong format.
Putting the two together, I sometimes play an '8-board tournament' against the other people in the Prime area. Meaning I play 8 boards and then see how I went.
But, I'm starting to lose that loving feeling.
Why? I hear you cry.
After being admonished by various people for not knowing the 'regle de jeu,' I decided to look closer.
I was disappointed to discover that I could no longer indulge in my regular use of cocaine, pethidine and testosterone. However, I was delighted to discover that caffeine, cigarettes and pizza were still ok. (Unless there are steroids in the meat).

On careful examination, it turns out that when playing in a tournament/session,
Law 40A4 (ACBL) states (in 2017 anyway) "The agreed meaning of a call or play shall not alter by reference to the member of the partnership by whom it is made (this requirement does not restrict style and judgment, only method)."
I take this to mean that a partnership cannot - in the middle of a tournament or session - play in one way. And then suddenly - play differently.
The law does say 'judgement', but of course, GIB doesn't have judgement. This means that if the same bidding sequence occurs, GIB should always bid in the same way.
Unless the same hands are being played by different GIB's, if this is the case, then the hands are not being played sixteen times against the same partnership.
This then means that the results are completely different.
Sure, you could argue that this is a 'feature' and makes the competition more human-like. I disagree.
In this hand, I score 3.7 IMPs having competed the Bots into an unmakeable 4S contract.

Someone else makes the same bid and ends up making 3HS= with the same bid as me.

Is this a breach of 40A4?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users