Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACBL membership ? Getting BBO points

#1 User is offline   stembbo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-22, 21:23

I have just played in an ACBL Robot Individual MP tournament.
When I look in History, people who finished below me have been awarded BBO points, but it is blank against my name.
I have been awarded points before when I have played in same competition, and do not know why not this time.
I don't have an ACBL number, as I am based in Scotland, and mainly play in Scottish competitions.
Do I need to get one after playing in a certain amount of ACBL games ?
BBO seemed to take my money fir playing in that competition.
Can anyone advise me, and if and how do I get an ACBL number, if that is the problem.

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-22, 22:02

Robot games are stratified, so if you're in the A or B group, someone in the C group might finish below you and get awarded (more) points.

See here.

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-23, 01:55

If you do want to join the ACBL here is a link to investigate what is needed http://bit.ly/JoinACBL
As with any other Club, there are many advantages apart from masterpoints - which is why I joined.
Non legit hoc

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-January-28, 11:14

You can play in ACBL tournaments without being an ACBL member. We keep track of the points you earned, and if you join ACBL in the future we'll forward them to ACBL at that time.

However, if you're not an ACBL member, you're automatically forced into the A stratum. So you have to do well against all the players. Actual ACBL members are put into a stratum based on their masterpoints, so lower-ranked players can earn points for just beating other players in their stratum.

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-30, 16:15

barmar, on 2021-January-28, 11:14, said:

You can play in ACBL tournaments without being an ACBL member. We keep track of the points you earned, and if you join ACBL in the future we'll forward them to ACBL at that time.

However, if you're not an ACBL member, you're automatically forced into the A stratum. So you have to do well against all the players. Actual ACBL members are put into a stratum based on their masterpoints, so lower-ranked players can earn points for just beating other players in their stratum.

So, if a pair enters an ACBL tournament online and one of the pair is NOT a member of the ACBL, does this mean that both will be stratified into A?
Non legit hoc

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-February-05, 09:40

pilowsky, on 2021-January-30, 16:15, said:

So, if a pair enters an ACBL tournament online and one of the pair is NOT a member of the ACBL, does this mean that both will be stratified into A?

Yes. Basically, we treat any player who isn't a member as having 100,000 masterpoints. And when stratifying we use the total points of the partnership.

#7 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-05, 14:22

barmar, on 2021-February-05, 09:40, said:

Yes. Basically, we treat any player who isn't a member as having 100,000 masterpoints. And when stratifying we use the total points of the partnership.

Thanks! That explains a lot.
Can I suggest that as a matter of 'full disclosure' you make this clear in the details area?
SInce COVID, many people from other countries are taking advantage of the online ACBL tourneys.
I think this means that the masterpoint Demographic may have changed slightly.
In any event, it wouldn't hurt to let people know ahead of time that they have entered WImbledon and not the local CLub game.
Non legit hoc

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users