BBO Discussion Forums: myself and friends of mine get invisible once I enter BBO Casual area - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

myself and friends of mine get invisible once I enter BBO Casual area

#1 User is offline   amphibious 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-14, 03:29

Hello,
very weird to me - you and your friends get invisible as soon as you enter BBO Casual area. Trying to make table, you have no option to reserve a seat/invite friend.
Same behaviour occurs both on my Windows 10 (Chrome, Edge) and Android versions.
I did not notice such an issue in the obsolete (and my favorite) Adobe Flash BBO version.
I am curious it is like that by design or due to some bug.
Greetings

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-14, 09:53

Yes, it's that the obsolete Flash version didn't handle Casual correctly, thus artificially inflating the load on the competitive server.

The problem is that when the COVID crisis hit, BBO had to, with little to no warning, move a bunch of people off their servers to allow anything to work. So they set up a Casual server and moved those games.

Now, although it looks like they're all one place, there's actually two disconnected back ends, and when you go Casual, you jump over to the other back end with its own userlist. Magic, all the people on the main server disappear, all the other people on the casual server appear.

To get what you're used to doing to work, you need to get the rest of your game to go to Casual as well. Then they'll show up.

But because they had halted development on the Flash version, they didn't jump you. So you were starting your games on the main server. Also (but you probably didn't notice it) if one of your players was using the HTML5 version and started a Casual table, you couldn't find it even if you tried.

I just checked, and you can reserve a spot for a user not on Casual just the same as you could before - what doesn't happen if they're on the main server is the popup asking them to join. But if they come in to Casual, they'll see you in their friends list (if they follow you) and can join your table and their reserved spot.

It's been an ongoing priority (according to the BBO employees that post here) to figure out how to merge the two backends so that this kind of notification (and friends disappearing when you or they move backends) ever since they did the split. Of course, there are many priorities and not all that many developers.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   yellowhenn 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-16, 16:14

I just read the message of "amphibius" and all i like to say is that i also prefered the old downloaded so called flash version
would be happy to pay for it if i could use it again,
i absolutely dislike the new webversion, and from what i hear
all the time from many players, i'm not the only one

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-January-17, 16:14

View Postyellowhenn, on 2021-January-16, 16:14, said:

would be happy to pay for it if i could use it again,

You understand that it wasn't our decision to disable Flash, right? Who are you going to pay, all the browser vendors?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users