Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Imagine this came up at IMPs Board 6, weekly free instant

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-12, 19:14

This is Board 6 from the current week's Free Instant tournament.

Let us assume that the board came up at IMPs (although the tournament actually was MPs).

The bidding is swift and West makes an insta-lead of the J on which East will play the 2 and you win the trick.

The best line for 9 tricks?

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-12, 20:27

It seems to me there are basically two rational plays... either play 3 rounds of spades or just just take the !H hook immediately. Not sure which is superior.

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-January-12, 22:34

View PostTylerE, on 2021-January-12, 20:27, said:

It seems to me there are basically two rational plays... either play 3 rounds of spades or just just take the !H hook immediately. Not sure which is superior.

I add to this small safety maneuver of using s as entry and leading s towards closed hand twice. not that it will make difference if suits break bad. so 50/50 hook may be last option.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-January-13, 01:38

Once again we are asked to suggest a line of play while not being given the information we’d have at the table. What signals do they play? Sure looks like east has the club Queen, from the lead, but Ed know more if at the table.

The problems with going to dummy in diamonds include how we play the suit, which tells the opps quite a lot, and may allow for an informative signal....say east has two and can discourage a spade switch.

Our spades are borderline but the 9 makes it worth doing: picture east with QJx.

So diamond Ace, diamond to the king. If we need to hook east out of the Jack, now we only have one entry to test spades
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-13, 02:19

I don't understand playing on spades. You go down with spades 4-2 and the heart ace onside.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-13, 03:40

View Postmikeh, on 2021-January-13, 01:38, said:

Once again we are asked to suggest a line of play while not being given the information we’d have at the table. What signals do they play? Sure looks like east has the club Queen, from the lead, but Ed know more if at the table.

Apologies. I did not add the information about the leads. West led from a solid-ish club suit (and yes the lead confirms East to hold the Q). West might hold something like J109(x)(x) OR J10xxx.

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2021-January-13, 04:13

View Postshyams, on 2021-January-13, 03:40, said:

Apologies. I did not add the information about the leads. West led from a solid-ish club suit (and yes the lead confirms East to hold the Q). West might hold something like J109(x)(x) OR J10xxx.

West certainly doesn't have JTxxx, as East can't play the 2 from Q9 :)
Most would lead low from JTxx - actually a relevant layout, as this would mean clubs are blocked. If this layout was possible, playing on spades would be slightly less bad.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-13, 07:21

View Postcherdano, on 2021-January-13, 04:13, said:

West certainly doesn't have JTxxx, as East can't play the 2 from Q9 :)

True :) I posted that when still groggy from having just woken up.

#9 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 16:06

I like leading the nine of spades from hand at trick two. West is unlikely to have four spades, having led a club, and if East has, say, QJT, Axxx xxx Qxx I am home. Three rounds of spades also works then, of course, but that is more committal. If West wins from Hxx, it might not be obvious to him to switch to a heart when that is needed, and he is unlikely to find that from Qxx or Jxx
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-January-15, 05:03

Shyams 'This is Board 6 from the current week's Free Instant tournament. Let us assume that the board came up at IMPs (although the tournament actually was MPs).
+++++++++++++++++++

Cherdano's arguments are persuasive. With A, cash some s then lead towards K

#11 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-January-15, 10:21

At the table, I cashed four diamonds, East throwing a heart and spade, West a spade. I now played a spade to the Ace and ducked one, not realising that one had discarded from Qxx and the other from Jxx!. An embarrassed 53%. Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users