BBO Discussion Forums: None Flash Version not fit for purpose - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

None Flash Version not fit for purpose

#1 User is offline   dave251164 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-January-12, 14:15

Now the Flash version has been blocked, I've been forced to try the new version.
It is absolutely awful and really not fit for purpose! The layout is terrible, the cards stutter before playing when you click on them and in the $Reward Race I just tried, it just sat there in the middle of a hand and wouldn't play a card! Speed tourneys are impossible and there's no bingos either, not that the new version works well enough to play anything at speed even if they had been set up.
You have to click, sometimes multiple times to see things that were just there on screen before - like who is in front and behind you in races and by how much.
The new version is an apallingly bad replacement for what was a much better version and I would be surprised if the programmers had ever played bridge races to get it so wrong!

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-12, 19:20

The problems with Flash are well-known.
The new version has problems, but these can be overcome.
The first thing I would check is that you have a good internet connection. Mine is not that great ATM with upload speeds dropping to around 15 sometimes.
This is a teething problem with the NBN in Australia - I expect it to get better soon.
In the meantime you can use speedtest.net to check your connectivity and complain to your carrier - they are usually easy to contact and super helpful (yes, that's a joke).
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   DaveB 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-13, 09:09

I would like to support the original poster.
I too was forced to move yesterday to the "new improved" (joke!!) non flash version and the experience was simply horrible!!

And no that was not down to my internet connection.

I understand that flash is no longer supported but why replace a really good interface with the current abomination?

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-January-13, 09:41

https://images-na.ss...RvL._SY679_.jpg
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-13, 10:53

I have to admit, I have less than my usual sympathy here. Some, sure.

BBO has been saying for at least 18 months that "flash is going away EOY 2020, we are no longer developing it, please move to the new version"; and have made it harder and harder to use the flash version, so that people had to deliberately choose to ignore their recommendations. I moved to the HTML5 version I think Nov 2019, not because I liked it, but because I knew I'd have to learn it eventually, might as well be now.

Is the HTML5 version worse than the flash version? IME, yes. There certainly are major missing bits (that don't generally impact 4-human play), the interface is clunky (as you would expect when using a mobile interface on a 28" widescreen), and all the rest. But the time to find this out and complain about it was March when we all went online, not "oh I don't want to learn something new, I'll go out of my way to use the version I understand, *even though I know I'm going to have to do it eventually, and it's not BBO's fault*".

The time to point out the issues, with maybe a hope of getting them implemented, was last year. If it wasn't for the massive server-side issues caused by an overnight quadrupling of use, totally unplannable for, more of the pointed out issues would probably even have been fixed. (Paid requests also seem to have got a higher priority than user-side issues. <s>I can't imagine why.</s>)

But this isn't like Microsoft Creator's Update or Google [anything], where you could wake up tomorrow with a new UI that's "easier to use". Both BBO and your browser have been telling everyone that this is happening since in-person NABCs (including in discussions at those in-person NABCs). If you deliberately wait until the last day...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-January-13, 11:29

View Postmycroft, on 2021-January-13, 10:53, said:

I have to admit, I have less than my usual sympathy here. Some, sure.

This isn't an issue with the UI being confusing or even the UI sucking.

The app freezes and eats RAM
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-January-13, 11:54

That's a real problem. But it's the first I've heard of it. Now I don't play Robot anything, so a lot of the problems I've heard about I don't even understand, never mind have run into.

But whether or not I'm affected by it, if I don't remember seeing memory leak/hog being reported before (while I'm not your average BBO user, I'm also not your average BBO forum user), that points to what I said...the time to switch over, to find this kind of thing, to complain and go back, to try again in a month or two - was last year, when one could. That too many people took the "is different. No like different. Fight to keep same." path is still at least partly the problem.

I'm not a "rah rah new" person - I run linux off the command line and i3wm, by preference, for Bob's sake. I work very hard, when I have to use Windows, to set it up the way I remember things working - that means a lot of it reacts like XP. I am picture-blind; if I have to use a screen full of icons, I learn where they are, not what "what I want to do" looks like. When that gets moved around for "more user-friendly", it destroys my screenmap patterns for months. "Is different" for me is *bad*. But when faced with "in 18 months, for no reason we can control, Ye Olde is Going Away, it's time now to get used to The New", either you get used to The New gradually, or you get used to The New all at once, with no safe shell to go back to between attempts.

I'm also not a BBO zealot (though I may look like one). I'm guessing that competitors are going to be a whole bunch more "is different" than Flash-to-HTML5 version of BBO. I am also confident in the Monastery Mantra: All Hardware Sucks, All Software Sucks. The competitors are going to get stuff right that BBO doesn't; and they're going to invent new and more exciting ways to suck (and reinvent many that BBO used to have). If they get the right things right, and the less-damaging things wrong, and BBO doesn't keep up, they'll win. If not, they'll be the example of what not to do for the next competitor. ISTR a little programmer that could doing just that (and winning) 25 years ago or so. I think his name was Fred?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   hawkwind 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 08:01

I continued to use the Flash version because it offered reliability (think production versus test) and superior user experience.

Every few weeks I would try the HTML version to see whether it had progressed from 'test'.

I understand that the ending of Flash support is completely out of BBO hands but that doesn't impose an obligation on BBO users to silently accept whatever alternative version is offered.

To list a few particular things I dislike with the HTML version:

Regular freezes/blocks. I have never managed an HTML session of more than 30 minutes without this happening at least once. Resolution: close everything else and if that doesn't work log out and re log in.

Speed. Everything on the HTML version appears to take longer than the Flash version. Playing a card for example on Flash version instantaneous reaction, on HTML version delay of up to a second?

Playing at a table. Occasionally most dummy cards being hidden blocking play. Resolution: Logging out and re logging in.

Playing. No option to have cards the slimmer size. (HTML version imposes where Flash version user configurable).

Language version imposed in HTML. (Flash version user configurable).

Bidding disappears when cardplay begins. (Flash version visible throughout). Yes, I know that matches f2f but my environment doesn't. I'm playing on BBO at home not in a club or competition.

Now it may be that some of the above 'missing' functionality is actually available but I'm just unaware, in which case hopefully someone can point me in the direction of a BBO HTML versus BBO Flash comparison document.

#9 User is offline   Lovely007 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 08:57

View Postdave251164, on 2021-January-12, 14:15, said:

Now the Flash version has been blocked, I've been forced to try the new version.
It is absolutely awful and really not fit for purpose! The layout is terrible, the cards stutter before playing when you click on them and in the $Reward Race I just tried, it just sat there in the middle of a hand and wouldn't play a card! Speed tourneys are impossible and there's no bingos either, not that the new version works well enough to play anything at speed even if they had been set up.
You have to click, sometimes multiple times to see things that were just there on screen before - like who is in front and behind you in races and by how much.
The new version is an apallingly bad replacement for what was a much better version and I would be surprised if the programmers had ever played bridge races to get it so wrong!

100% agee with Dave dreadful

#10 User is offline   Lovely007 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 09:03

All these years playing bingos and having fun gone.
Who designed this new site ? Its dreadful and its not because of change it really is frustrating to play and not adding our favourite tourneys is a double whammy.Thats it for me.Wasted lots of money to get to this point how sad,Just when we needed some fun gone:(

#11 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-January-14, 10:05

Hawkwind: thank you.

I think I can get you a couple of things.

Not sure what dummy's cards are being hidden behind, but it's frequently "explanation of opponent's bid". In which case, click on the explanation - but not the button, that reasks - and it should go away. Similarly, if you looked at the last trick, clicking anywhere in that last trick will clear that window.

You can always see the auction during the play by clicking the contract on the left side. It will show up on top of dummy :-(

This topic has two ways to set your language preference.

#12 User is offline   DaveB 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 11:49

Please correct me if I am wrong as I have no pretensions to being an expert in this area.

The fact that Adobe has withdrawn support from Flash does NOT mean that it has stopped functioning.
As long as the players were using a browser version that had not had flash support withdrawn BBO could continue offering the "old" version rather than imposing their "one size fits all" policy.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-January-14, 12:35

View PostDaveB, on 2021-January-14, 11:49, said:

As long as the players were using a browser version that had not had flash support withdrawn BBO could continue offering the "old" version rather than imposing their "one size fits all" policy.

Starting a few days ago, my Chrome browser refused to run Flash applications. When I tried to run V2 it showed the dialogue asking me to allow it, but when I clicked on "Allow" it displayed an error page of some kind.

Yesterday there was an update, but this started a day or two before that.

#14 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 14:15

From memory, on the 13th Adobe actively blocked all access to Flash technology. It's no longer even just a browser incompatibility or vendor support - the obsolescence was built into Flash itself.

#15 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 15:31

View Postmycroft, on 2021-January-13, 10:53, said:

The time to point out the issues, with maybe a hope of getting them implemented, was last year. If it wasn't for the massive server-side issues caused by an overnight quadrupling of use, totally unplannable for, more of the pointed out issues would probably even have been fixed. (Paid requests also seem to have got a higher priority than user-side issues. <s>I can't imagine why.

:lol:

#16 User is offline   dave251164 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-January-14, 16:38

Hawkwind:
Regular freezes/blocks. I have never managed an HTML session of more than 30 minutes without this happening at least once. Resolution: close everything else and if that doesn't work log out and re log in.
Speed. Everything on the HTML version appears to take longer than the Flash version. Playing a card for example on Flash version instantaneous reaction, on HTML version delay of up to a second?

I couldn't agree more Hawkwind!

#17 User is offline   DaveB 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 16:53

View PostDaveB, on 2021-January-14, 11:49, said:

Please correct me if I am wrong as I have no pretensions to being an expert in this area.

The fact that Adobe has withdrawn support from Flash does NOT mean that it has stopped functioning.

I hold my hand up and apologise and accept that I was totally wrong with the above assertion.

#18 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-14, 21:21

View PostDaveB, on 2021-January-14, 16:53, said:

I hold my hand up and apologise and accept that I was totally wrong with the above assertion.

In your defence, it's rare that a technology is actually removed in this way. Letting it fade away is much more common.

#19 User is offline   hawkwind 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-15, 07:21

View Postmycroft, on 2021-January-14, 10:05, said:

Hawkwind: thank you.

I think I can get you a couple of things.

Not sure what dummy's cards are being hidden behind, but it's frequently "explanation of opponent's bid". In which case, click on the explanation - but not the button, that reasks - and it should go away. Similarly, if you looked at the last trick, clicking anywhere in that last trick will clear that window.

You can always see the auction during the play by clicking the contract on the left side. It will show up on top of dummy :-(

This topic has two ways to set your language preference.

Thanks.

#20 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-15, 15:48

Notwithstanding, the program does have a few bugs (I'm not talking about the quality of play).
Sometimes the animation explaining the meaning of a bid will 'stick' and then the next animation appears underneath it rendering it invisible.
The quick workaround for this that I know of is to leave the game and then go back in.
This kind of 'stickiness' occurs in other situations as well.
Sometimes the robots 'refuse to play or bid' - I assume that this is some sort of 'time-out' error - it also goes away when I leave and go back. Although once it stuck completely and the game was abandoned.

Apparently, the developers keep a list of these reports and work through them - or around them?

In a way, it adds a bit of verisimilitude to the game. Sometimes people behave in pretty strange ways.

Unfortunately, they rarely give you back your entry fee.
Non legit hoc

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users