• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bidding advice requested

#1 User is offline   boboose 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-09, 18:38

A2, -, A8643, AKQ432 Opposite 105, J64, KJ97, 9875

Bidding goes, P,1C,1H,P; 1S,2D,2H,P; 3H,4C,P,P; P making 7. where did we go wrong? How should we bid it?

#2 User is offline   boboose 

• Pip

Posted 2021-January-09, 18:38

A2, -, A8643, AKQ432 Opposite 105, J64, KJ97, 9875

Bidding goes, P,1C,1H,P; 1S,2D,2H,P; 3H,4C,P,P; P making 7. where did we go wrong? How should we bid it?

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-09, 21:02

At some point it looks like partner should reevaluate their hand and take at least one call. 2D is already a strong action, so I would expect 3C over 2H. Failing that, a cue bid after 4C to show a super hand in context looks right.

#4 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-09, 21:08

Hi & welcome. When you create a post, you will find an icon with a symbol which can be used to create the hand diagram. This makes the presentation more readable and easier to analyse.

In your example, I think North did very little wrong. On the other hand, it seems South was asleep and randomly clicking the pass button.
* North's multiple rounds of bidding clearly shows a strong hand and a potential 2-suiter.
* Additionally, opponents' bidding helps South place North with very few heart cards.
* South has a very good fit in both the suits bid by partner.

I don't understand why South would not raise to game.

#5 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-09, 21:59

I think both players are at fault.

South has a very good hand over North's 4. South could easily have had something worthless like QJxxxx Jxx xx xx, and their hand is much better than that. Given 4 card support for both of partner's suits and a king, that hand is easily worth a 5 bid.

On the other hand, I think 4 by North is too pessimistic. Change all of South's honors to low cards in the same suit, and 5 is still a reasonable contract. I would bid 4 with the North hand at the 3rd turn. I don't know exactly what 4 means, but it has to be forcing. Actually, maybe 4N, asking partner to pick a minor (clubs if equal), would be better. I wouldn't mind a double or 4N at North's second turn either.

This is a 5-or-7 hand, and only makes the slam 40% of the time, so I'm fine with being in 5 of either minor.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-January-09, 23:47

Baboose's bidding problem
++++++++++++++++++++
IMO
Opener showed a good hand but might consider rebidding 4, a stronger and more descriptive bid than 4
Responder shouldn't pass and might show some enthusiasm with 4 but the excellent slams are hard to reach,

#7 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 05:46

S is 100% at fault holding 8 cards in partners suits. Perhaps S felt N bids like he does. Its not a greats slam missing the Q of D but the 5 level is clear

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 05:52

We'd be much better placed in this auction as we have the concrete agreement that in all these 3 suits bid auctions opener doubles with 4 of the unbid suit and bids it with 5 (here you have to double with 5 and insufficient values also) so S knows immediately from the 2 bid that N is 5-6 in the minors with a big hand, so will bid the round before.

"This is a 5-or-7 hand, and only makes the slam 40% of the time, so I'm fine with being in 5 of either minor. " I think Akwoo is wrong, diamonds 2-2 or stiff Q either side is 52%. Also a heart lead rather than a spade is quite likely where you will make 6 almost all the time.

#9 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-10, 10:51

Agree with sfi. North needs another coffee. There's an argument for 2 over 1. If North decides that's overstating both his values and his clubs, fine. After 2, though, his hand is huge. Partner has reversed into a live auction where we've shown nothing, North can see a double fit, and "all" her points are now working (and her spots in partner's minors are amazing). If North decides to be silent even here, then "oh partner will be happy for my hand when he competed all on his own over hearts, let's hope he makes it with my 3 tricks" is - wow.

Do we get to 6? After passing twice, probably not (Do I want to be in 7? Probably not). Missing game is criminal, though. Partner is not "just competing", this is a huge-hand auction. My guess is that South does in fact "just compete" with these kinds of auctions, and North has learned that partner already bids all her cards. In which case, it's time for a review of Brad's rules of partnership management. Hopefully the partnership can be saved, and put on the right track.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   spade7 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-11, 05:22

100% North's fault. South bid perfectly.

#11 User is offline   spade7 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-11, 05:23

100% North's fault. (According to mycroft's hand diagram)

#12 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-11, 05:32

View Postspade7, on 2021-January-11, 05:22, said:

100% North's fault. South bid perfectly.

While it might be North's fault that they missed game, I don't think South's 4C bid could be said to be bidding perfectly.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#13 User is offline   spade7 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-11, 16:21

Should South have passed? Bid 5? 4NT?

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-January-11, 19:50

View Postmycroft, on 2021-January-10, 10:51, said:

Agree with sfi. North needs another coffee. There's an argument for 2 over 1. If North decides that's overstating both his values and his clubs, fine. After 2, though, his hand is huge. Partner has reversed into a live auction where we've shown nothing, North can see a double fit, and "all" her points are now working (and her spots in partner's minors are amazing). If North decides to be silent even here, then "oh partner will be happy for my hand when he competed all on his own over hearts, let's hope he makes it with my 3 tricks" is - wow.

Do we get to 6? After passing twice, probably not (Do I want to be in 7? Probably not). Missing game is criminal, though. Partner is not "just competing", this is a huge-hand auction. My guess is that South does in fact "just compete" with these kinds of auctions, and North has learned that partner already bids all her cards. In which case, it's time for a review of Brad's rules of partnership management. Hopefully the partnership can be saved, and put on the right track.

Do I want to be in 7?

I'd far rather be in 7 than in 6. On the auction the odds are good that the opps are leading spades, and now this is a 5 or 7 hand. That's not to say I want to be or think I would be in 7C. It isn't at all clear that 6C is a great spot on a spade lead....but if I'm in 6, I'd rather be in 7 (unless I get a heart lead from opps who have not listened to the auction)

As for how to get there, the fault is all responder, who has the world's easiest 3C call over 2H. I agree with the pass over 1H: 1C doesn't promise long clubs...in NA it usually shows 3+ and many pairs play it as 2+ (tho I'd expect that to be noted if applicable) and we have the worst possible heart holding (we have no reason to expect 4th chair to have hearts) and a soft hand.

But once partner sticks in his 2D bid, our hand has improved dramatically. One lesson that advancing players need to work on, in most cases, is listening to the auction and thinking about how what they have heard changes their view of their hand, for better or worse.

Here our KJ9x in diamonds has suddenly become golden...and the hand should be re-valued upwards. Then we add in that we have a sure 9+ club fit as well and the hand has grown enormously.

It's not (imo) worth a cue-bid, but it is definitely not a pass. I'm torn between a conservative 3C and an aggressive 4C. At the table, I'd probably opt for the underbid.

Over 3C (3H) opener has a good hand but the diamonds are weak. However, I'm not stopping short of game, since xxx xxx KQx xxxx is enough for slam and even grand! Qxx xxxx xx xxxx makes for a decent game.

So I will bid 4H to show the void and create a force to at least game. 4H shows slam interest, else I'd just bid 5C.

Responder should now think long and hard about this hand. Partner must surely have a heart void on the auction so the flattest he will be is 3=0=4=6. Picture Axx void AQxx AKxxxx. 6C is laydown absent a 3-0 split. 7D is also pretty good, but needs 2-1 clubs and 3-2 diamonds (even on a friendly heart lead, we have inadequate communication to ruff two hearts in the strong hand and pull trump, before running the clubs...we need opener to have the diamond 10 to make 7D really good).

I'd bid 5D over 4H, committing to slam and showing my diamond values...say partner has Ax void AQxxx AKxxxx: now he can bid a comfortable 7C. He doesn't care that I have 4 diamonds...as long as I have the King and at least 4C, we should be making grand.

As it is, while I prefer to play in 7C rather than 6C, I don't think I can reach it, nor indeed do I want to. I hope I get a heart lead.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users