Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Error in gib score adjust

#1 User is offline   Keene_JP 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-07, 15:35

In the game that i ran today one of the players alerted me to an error in the automatic score adjustment for an incomplete board.

VACB 260653 (NH Unit 150 Statewide)
Tourn # 47196
Table 2 (i think)
N-S = kcfl + GrnMtnMan
board 12

contract = 3NT by W.

After 8 tricks, N was on lead with trick count NS 3; EW 5.
N led 9D, then time ran out, leaving this position:

North
S KT
H J
D 3
C

West East
S AQ7 S 982
H 95 H A8
D D
C C

South
S J54
H T2
D
C

N wins the 9D, then the 3D, then the JH. No matter what EW do, N must win the KS, for score down 2.

Board was GIB adjusted to down 1.

P.S. wish i could have pasted screen shot instead of having to type the position!
-=-=

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-08, 11:41

As far as the ruling goes, I see from Live For Clubs that you adjusted it to -2. I'm surprised, given what GIB says at the decision point, that it assigned -1. I agree, that is concerning.

As far as "typing it in by hand" goes, there are lots of alternatives:

3NT W, North to lead having taken 3 tricks.

Use the hand diagram tool (the thing that looks like a spade in a Canadian flag) to create this; yes it has to be done by hand, but it's easy and quick.

An alternative, which allows for discussions and play, is to link to the hand from Live For Clubs replay. Add hyperlinks to your posts by using the link tool (the one that looks like infinity with a green arrow impaled in it). You can do this by hand by:
[url="https://yourlink.example.com/board/..."]link text[/url]
which I note because I do it a lot, and I can't read icons.

If it wasn't an ACBL game, the information would be available from myhands, like this one, but then you would have to go into the URL and anonymize the names (which is nontrivial).

Finally, you can in fact put in a screenshot, using the insert image tool (green square on white background). Frankly, I've never done that, and tweaking is, I have noticed, required to fix the size nicely. So can't help you with that one.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   jnichols 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-January-08, 11:49

Depends what south discards on the diamond tricks. Discard a heart and EW get 2 hearts and the ace of diamonds

GIB adjusts based on single dummy, not double dummy.

John S. Nichols - Director & Webmaster
Indianapolis Bridge Center

#4 User is offline   Keene_JP 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-08, 15:59

View Postjnichols, on 2021-January-08, 11:49, said:

Depends what south discards on the diamond tricks. Discard a heart and EW get 2 hearts and the ace of diamonds

GIB adjusts based on single dummy, not double dummy.

I would hope the assumption would be that the players would play sensibly. S should know that the A,K,Q of S are extant -- why pitch H to keep his worthless S ??

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-09, 01:08

I've had a number of recent reports of impossible results being assigned when play is curtailed. Has something changed about how this is done in the last week or two?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-January-10, 23:39

View PostKeene_JP, on 2021-January-08, 15:59, said:

I would hope the assumption would be that the players would play sensibly. S should know that the A,K,Q of S are extant -- why pitch H to keep his worthless S ??

It simply puts robots into all 4 seats and has them play it out. The assumption is that GIB plays sensibly, but it sometimes makes mistakes, especially on defense.

#7 User is offline   squeezergb 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-13, 07:00

I have found more errors in the system assigned scores for unfinished boards in just the last three weeks than I did in the previous six months. Something has changed which is making more work for TDs and probably giving even more incorrect scores for players where it goes unnoticed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users