Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB hands player 2 tricks ACBL IMP tourney

#1 User is offline   svengolly 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-January-07, 01:51

I was kibitzing the last two rounds of a robot ACBL IMP tournament and I watched GIB literally hand a player two tricks at the end after the player had butchered the hand. Do the step-by-step play and watch as E overtakes W Q of diamonds (making declarer's J good) returns a low diamond and W refuses to ruff.

[/color]comments

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-January-07, 02:17

Svengolly 'I was kibitzing the last two rounds of a robot ACBL IMP tournament and I watched GIB literally hand a player two tricks at the end after the player had butchered the hand. Do the step-by-step play and watch as E overtakes W Q of diamonds (making declarer's J good) returns a low diamond and W refuses to ruff.'
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
South can bid and make a small slam in , so M56876 and M56875 feel hurt by Svengolly's criticism of their defence. South played badly but when he exits in s he can still make 10 tricks, no matter how EW defend. East overtaking Q doesn't lose a trick and West gets his trump trick, now or later

#3 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-07, 02:27

svengolly, I'm not following your post at all. You said to follow the step-by-step play; it clearly shows that playing a low diamond on the queen allows declarer to make 11 tricks, while overtaking is correct and holds it to 10. On the next trick, a low diamond lead is best, so East got that right, and it makes no difference whether West ruffs or not; both result in 10 tricks.

So where is the error?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users