Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How are percentages calculated? Express Free tournaments

#1 User is offline   Micksy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-January-03, 18:14

Ok, I'm addicted to these. But sometimes I play poorly yet finish near the top of competitors ? ? ?
Example .... my partner had the very first bid. He/she had 7 HCP and 5 hearts, king queen. And the bid was 2 hearts .... opponent passed , I bid 3 hearts ( I had 3 hearts and 9 points).Opponent bid 3 Spades. My partner went to 4 H.
We lost by 4 tricks ...but we got 73.7%, they got 26.3 ?????

#2 User is offline   Micksy 

• Pip

Posted 2021-January-03, 18:24

Im talking about the Express free tournaments 80 registered players 6 boards.

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-03, 18:28

View PostMicksy, on 2021-January-03, 18:14, said:

Ok, I'm addicted to these. But sometimes I play poorly yet finish near the top of competitors ? ? ?
Example .... my partner had the very first bid. He/she had 7 HCP and 5 hearts, king queen. And the bid was 2 hearts .... opponent passed , I bid 3 hearts ( I had 3 hearts and 9 points).Opponent bid 3 Spades. My partner went to 4 H.
We lost by 4 tricks ...but we got 73.7%, they got 26.3 ?????

Do you understand how matchpoints are calculated???

How Matchpoint Scoring Works

You have to look at the results of the other tables that played the same board. Maybe the opponents can make 3 for plus 140, or maybe the opponents should have beat your 4 contract by 2 tricks.

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-03, 19:21

On the actual hand, your opponents can score somewhere between 420 and 490 by bidding and making game. At one table they scored 1100 by doubling 5H, so your -200 compared favourably to most of the tables.

One of the advantages of duplicate is that it doesn't matter what cards you hold. You are judged on how well you do with them compared to other pairs who hold the same hands. So you got a better score than 14 tables and a worse score than 5, or 73.7%.

#5 User is offline   undoubling 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-January-04, 12:14

It is "just like" "regular" matchpointing, where you get one point for each pair you beat (better score than) and a 1/2 point for each pair you tie (in your direction). The only difference is that BBO calculates the matchpointing in terms of percentage.

#6 User is offline   ThomasRush 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (?), Toastmasters, wine, people, libertarianism, creating humor, teaching bridge

Posted 2021-January-04, 13:31

View Postundoubling, on 2021-January-04, 12:14, said:

It is "just like" "regular" matchpointing, where you get one point for each pair you beat (better score than) and a 1/2 point for each pair you tie (in your direction). The only difference is that BBO calculates the matchpointing in terms of percentage.

I suspect that the matchpoints are calculated the standard way (one point for each pair you beat, half a point for each pair you tie), and then converted to a percentage (divide your score by top on a board (top is one less than the number of pairs being compared) to get the percentage). You will find that your score in face-to-face ACBL tournaments is shown in both matchpoints and percentage on ACBL live.
He who plants a tree affirms the future

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users