Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cancelled Board

#1 User is offline   gentgiant 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-December-30, 11:40

Today, I ran a Swiss Pairs. 24 boards in 6x4 board rounds. Time per board set at a strict 7 minutes.

If I see a table experice a prolonged disconnection through no fault of the player, I will normally add a little time to allow them to finish the last board. Seems hardly fair to penalise them for loss of connection.

Did that today with 2 minutes or so of set time to go, I added 4 minutes and announced it to the tourney

But unseen to me at another table, the players had not been allowed to start Board 4 with 2 minutes to go as they had not started bidding. Slow play all round. Now, with the added time, they would have had extra time to bid and play and not just wind down the clock but couldn't do anything.

I have to say, I didn't have much sympathy as they'd taken 26 minutes of the orginally allocated 28 to play 3 boards.

Anyone else seen this before? I can see that if time had been added earlier, then this might not have arisen, but I don't like doing that as it only encourages slow play elsewhere.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-January-03, 17:37

That's correct, BBO deosn't allow you to start a new board when there's too little time left in the round. The threshold depends on the number of minutes per board -- for speedballs it's 2 minutes, for slower tournaments it's 3 minutes.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-07, 11:21

View Postbarmar, on 2021-January-03, 17:37, said:

That's correct, BBO deosn't allow you to start a new board when there's too little time left in the round. The threshold depends on the number of minutes per board -- for speedballs it's 2 minutes, for slower tournaments it's 3 minutes.

That's both reasonable and legal. However, stopping play of a board in progress "because the round is over" is not. Unfortunately the software doesn't properly implement Law 8B1, and BBO (and other purveyors of online bridge) don't seem inclined to change that. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-07, 14:30

View Postblackshoe, on 2021-January-07, 11:21, said:

That's both reasonable and legal. However, stopping play of a board in progress "because the round is over" is not. Unfortunately the software doesn't properly implement Law 8B1, and BBO (and other purveyors of online bridge) don't seem inclined to change that. :(

I avoid comparing BBO with other online purveyors on this forum for obvious reasons, but I assure you this is not the case for all.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users