Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tournament Placing Pre-determined seating

#1 User is offline   vebu201410 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-December-28, 07:00

Is it possible for the TD to control where pairs are seated? Either NS or EW.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-December-28, 13:11

Not for virtual club games.

Why does it matter? It's not like a f2f club where you have players with mobility problems who need stationary assignments.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-28, 15:13

Well, my issue (as I've mentioned before) is the creation (or avoidance) of murderers' rows.

Yes, BBO tries to get the same number of As, Bs, and Cs in each line of each section, but in a 15 table section playing 7 rounds of 3 (quite frequent situation in the local clubs I play in), if the A pairs are "randomly" 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 (with 3,4,5 being the "real" A pairs, and 7 and 8 being the Bs-that-get-pushed-up), an awful lot of the result is going to depend on whether you started at table 2 or at table 9.

There are also issues with "if these two pairs meet, we'll have a war, so we always seat them the same direction", or "we're scoring against each other (me and my partner playing my spouse and her partner)/playing dimes (in non-ACBL events, at least)/want to discuss the hands after", where it would be nice to be able to ask for same direction.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2020-December-28, 17:45

View Postbarmar, on 2020-December-28, 13:11, said:

Not for virtual club games.

Why does it matter? It's not like a f2f club where you have players with mobility problems who need stationary assignments.

Let's consider a face-to-face 2-session event over two weeks, maybe a club championship, with 8 tables.
We run say 8x3 share/relay in week 1.
In week 2, we "add a session" and might run two 4-table Howells, 21 boards. Scores add up auto, then prize-giving.

How would you do this on BBO?
Maybe run a complete Howell with +bduration=9900+ ...!
Or
In week 2, run two separate 4-table events, directing the NSs from week 1 to event A, the EWs to B. Then add by hand.

#5 User is offline   kenjay 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-December-29, 05:09

View Postshevek, on 2020-December-28, 17:45, said:

Let's consider a face-to-face 2-session event over two weeks, maybe a club championship, with 8 tables.
We run say 8x3 share/relay in week 1.
In week 2, we "add a session" and might run two 4-table Howells, 21 boards. Scores add up auto, then prize-giving.

How would you do this on BBO?
Maybe run a complete Howell with +bduration=9900+ ...!
Or
In week 2, run two separate 4-table events, directing the NSs from week 1 to event A, the EWs to B. Then add by hand.

There’s a thought. Run the Mitchell one session. Then the two Howells as you say inviting the N/S into one and E/W into the other. Create the XML files using J Goachers’s BBO to XML program, then merging the three XML files to create a new csv to create a new complete XML file combining the three sessions. No need to do it by hand. Any reason that would not work?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users